Author Topic: Tiller check please **Full draw pics;)  (Read 2956 times)

Offline k-hat

Tiller check please **Full draw pics;)
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:09:17 am »
Hey guys, just wanna see what the more experienced eyes have to say.  Hick bow, right now at 15 inches and 25# on a short string with about a 2" brace.  Ready to move to a higher brace if the curves are looking good.  Started out with about 1.5" of heated reflex, reduced to about .25" after working it then unstrung for a while. Here are the pics:

Any critique is much appreciated.

Looking at the pics now, looks stiff just out of the left fade and outer 3rd?

Ok, done some more, here she is at full brace (6.5")

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:17:47 am by stixman »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:58:21 am »
That looking good to me,I would say carry on just like you are doing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:32:02 am »
The full brace looks good. What kind of an arrow rest are you planning--or is there a shelf, couldn't tell.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:48:59 am »
Continue on......

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
Thanks for the input :)    Seems like every bow i make starts out with one limb significantly stronger than the other no matter how careful i am on the initial profile/shaping and getting the limbs as identical as possible.  Course i did heat treat these before tiller, so that could've contributed.  First time i braced was that lopsided look again, but i followed Roy's and Art's and Pearl's and others advice on working the brace up gradually from a short long string and using the tillering gizmo.  Worked like a charm, but it  seemed like i scraped FOREVER on the stiff limb to get it to bend with the other.  It is now about 1/16" thinner than the other, but bending the same ???  Just glad to have it looking the way it does!

Hrothgar:  Haven't done any work on the handle area yet except for drawing it out.  I'm planning to put an arrow shelf in mainly because the guy i'm making it for wants an arrow shelf.  I prefer to shoot of the hand personally.  I'll start shaping the handle after I get the tiller into the shootable phase. 

I'll repost as soon as i make some more progress this weekend ;D

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »
full brace is nice, looks real even.  seems you know what your doing, and going slow is the way to go. may be a pain but everytime I try to find a shortcut I take too much off. use the gizmo and you should be fine.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »
Lookin good ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:27:03 pm »
Ok, tryn not to get impatient and in a hurry, but the closer i get the more i wanna be done!!  I know, be patient and go slow Kevin.  Well, here she is at 23".  There's some mild propeller twist that's messing with my eyes.  Been using the tillering gizmo and exercising the limbs all along the way.  So according to that, it looks ok.  Am I leaving the tips too stiff?  I want them stiff, but don't know if i'm stressing the inner limbs too much.  Let me know what you think! ;D

Thanks for participating ;)

Offline adb

Re: Tiller check please **updated, to 23"
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:37:53 pm »
I think your tiller is very good. Your right limb may be a tad stiff in the outer third, but that's nit-pickin.' She's as close to done as it gets.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 11:20:43 pm »
I'm with adb, it is pretty close to perfect,
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 12:55:08 am »
Thanks guys, it's all good to hear!  I'm gonna loosen it up just a tad on the outers and finish to 28".  I'll post again once I've got'r all perty lookin and stuff ;)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:11 am »
Ok, i couldn't wait, had to go ahead and take some more pics!  Full draw and handle close-ups.  This is my first arrow shelf bow.  I personally like the way the coloring worked out, kind of like a mild character board bow :P   The handle is just a 3/4" board glued on, both pieces have heart and sapwood, so it kinda almost looks like off a laminate bow.  Let me know what you think!

Excuse my sloppy form!!  Palmin like nobody's bizness!!   :P

Offline half eye

Re: Tiller check please **Full draw pics;)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 03:24:19 am »
That full draw is a thing of beauty, sir. Very nicely done.

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Tiller check please **Full draw pics;)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »
nice Stix, I think you got a keeper.