Author Topic: Recurve out of 2 Hickory axe handles  (Read 10648 times)

Nomeous

Recurve out of 2 Hickory axe handles
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:42:35 am »
New to the site. Wondering if anyone has made one of these. a friend of mine said he saw one once. It seems to me that it would make a pretty burly bow. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Recurve out of 2 Hickory axe handles
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:34:31 am »
I haven't made one but I don't see why it can't be done.  The only thing I would caution you on is the possibility of the wood being too dry and brittle.  I've had a couple of cheap "hickory" axe handles crack on me in the past.  It's better to get a board or cut your own tree.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline John hoare

• John Eric Hoare
    • http://www.lulu.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:04:23 am »
Hi Nomeous,
The first flat bow I made was out of a hickory stretcher pole, that broke as it was too dry. The second, third, fourth, and fifth, I made out of two pickax handles joined at the middle by a box joint as the bow did not bend through the handle. You must back the bow with either sinew, linen, silk. or plant fibers for safety and make sure it has a moisture content of 10% to 12% before you start work. Having said that, I still have, and shoot my pickax handle bows frequently. I designed them specifically for speed shooting and that means a lot of work in the limbs. Make sure when you select your limbs (two pickax oval sectioned handles) that the grain matches as closely as possible and runs across the widest part of the handle right through to the nock end, and keep your limbs as wide as possible and rectangular. When you come to tiller keep your desired weight, say 60#, the same at each increment, I.E. 60#@15", 60#@ 20", and so on until you reach your desired draw length. I am assuming you are using a wall tiller board and pulley system.
My pickax handle bows work well for me, and there is no sign of stress as yet, although they follow the string slightly. If you keep to the 64" or higher length between nocks rule you should decrease the string follow. I like a little string follow as the bows are not so sensitive and don't jump too much in the hand. I shoot off the hand and not off a shelf, so you must make sure if you do, that your arrow spine is perfect. My draw length is 27.3/4" and my arrow diameter is 5/16" My bows are all between 60# to 65# so it is possible to make a good bow out of pickax handles. I use Araldite two-part 24hr glue for the handle, cured in a incandecent bulb heat box with thermometer (handle section only) at 100%, turn the bulbs on and off to regulate the temp, and waterproof PVA glue to soak the back of the bow and fabric in before backing, unless it is sinew. I hope this helps. Good luck Johno. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:08:56 am by John hoare »

Offline mainehunt

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:47 pm »
Hi Nomeous,
The first flat bow I made was out of a hickory stretcher pole, that broke as it was too dry. The second, third, fourth, and fifth, I made out of two pickax handles joined at the middle by a box joint as the bow did not bend through the handle. You must back the bow with either sinew, linen, silk. or plant fibers for safety and make sure it has a moisture content of 10% to 12% before you start work. Having said that, I still have, and shoot my pickax handle bows frequently. I designed them specifically for speed shooting and that means a lot of work in the limbs. Make sure when you select your limbs (two pickax oval sectioned handles) that the grain matches as closely as possible and runs across the widest part of the handle right through to the nock end, and keep your limbs as wide as possible and rectangular. When you come to tiller keep your desired weight, say 60#, the same at each increment, I.E. 60#@15", 60#@ 20", and so on until you reach your desired draw length. I am assuming you are using a wall tiller board and pulley system.
My pickax handle bows work well for me, and there is no sign of stress as yet, although they follow the string slightly. If you keep to the 64" or higher length between nocks rule you should decrease the string follow. I like a little string follow as the bows are not so sensitive and don't jump too much in the hand. I shoot off the hand and not off a shelf, so you must make sure if you do, that your arrow spine is perfect. My draw length is 27.3/4" and my arrow diameter is 5/16" My bows are all between 60# to 65# so it is possible to make a good bow out of pickax handles. I use Araldite two-part 24hr glue for the handle, cured in a incandecent bulb heat box with thermometer (handle section only) at 100%, turn the bulbs on and off to regulate the temp, and waterproof PVA glue to soak the back of the bow and fabric in before backing, unless it is sinew. I hope this helps. Good luck Johno. 

Johno,

That sounds very interesting, do you have photos of any of those bows you made? I would love to see them.

Kev
<><
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those that do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." -Albert Einstein

Offline John hoare

• John Eric Hoare
    • http://www.lulu.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:52 am »
Hi Mainehunt,
I do have 'photos, I sent them to the Primitive Archer in an article I hope to have printed in a comming PA Magazine. I have not had much success in attachments to these posts as yet, but am still working on it, i have no trouble with email attchments. One of my bows, which I tried with wrapped jute string nocks instead of filed nocks, is very accurate. I will definitely use them on my next pickax handle bow. I will try to send a photo to you, if not successful, then I will try to contact you by other means. Johno.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »
i have made a couple kids bows from hickory handles, 20-30 lbs range.  but if i could find a pair of good heavy duty extra long sledge handles or the like, im sure a good man size, full powered bow could be made, even with recurves.

i would be interested in seeing some pics as well :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"