Author Topic: Small Horn for bows?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Small Horn for bows?
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:21:23 am »
Our kids live in the Phillippines so I asked if they could get me some water buffalo horn.  Our daughter spotted a pen holder with a set of young buffalo horns on it.  I pulled them off the holder, but I'm not sure they're going to work for a bow.  Here are the horns:

The hollow part of the horn is about 5" long.  If I cut off the solid points (for future horn nocks) and cut the remainder roughly in thirds, I'll get three pieces of horn which will total about 12" long and an inch and an eighth wide.   Each limb would only have about a foot of working limb.  The horn is only about a sixteenth of an inch thick.  From what I've read that is thinner than what is usually used.

Is it worth trying?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sailordad

Re: Small Horn for bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:42:49 am »
if you were to cut around the circumfernace of the horn(like peeling an orange and trying for a one piece peel)
you would get the most length out of it in one piece,then you could flatten it
just a thought  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:32:52 am »
You can buy a set of polished water buffalo horn in the 36 to 41" range for about 55$ TYD on ebay

I just bought one that is 98% solid and 24" long and a set that are not as solid but are 36" long for 83$ shipped for all three horns.

Send me a message if you want the guys info.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:58:17 am »
PM Sent.

Thanks sailordad, I did not think of that.  Wonder if I could do that on the band saw?  Still, the full size horn is cheaper than I thought it would be, cheaper than the kids can buy it in the Philippines.  That might be smarter for my first try at a composite bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline shikari

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »
I get my horn from a friend in thailand and he hand picks good matching pairs,If you can get your kids to go to the slaughterhouse and pick them out you can buy them by the kilo and you get some excellent horn for half the price.