Author Topic: Full draw pictures  (Read 37119 times)

330bull

Re: Full draw pictures
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 09:36:46 pm »
Gordon,

If you choose to withdraw your name from future considerations, can I borrow the next bow you make for a photo shoot?.... ;)

Joe

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 09:52:47 pm »
Gordon, I think you stated very well a good reason for not limiting the amount of wins to one. It helps to keep the bar up high. Anything that keeps the standards high I am in favor of.

I do disagree with your feelings on pretty bows and nice finishes, that means next to nothing to me but I admire those that do finish them nicely. I tend to judge bows by how I imagine they work for what they were intended. You put a lot of work into your bows and it shows and should be rewarded, they are also popular with the visitors here and those that want to compete should keep in mind what wins a lot.

I don't think I heard but one comment regarding how many times someone can win. Things will never be 100% unanimous. Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2007, 10:16:35 pm »
Badger, I will readily admit that I appreciate beauty simply for its own sake. But there is utility in fine craftsmanship. Tool marks and sharp edges lead to splinters, unshapely handles are uncomfortable to grip, tip overlays that do not flow gracefully into the back are prone to failure, backing that is not neatly trimmed will lift, roughly cut nocks will prematurely wear strings, poorly tapered limbs will either be weak or excessively heavy, a poor finish will eventually admit moisture, and so on. A well built bow is beautiful by design.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 10:31:39 pm »
Badger, I will readily admit that I appreciate beauty simply for its own sake. But there is utility in fine craftsmanship. Tool marks and sharp edges lead to splinters, unshapely handles are uncomfortable to grip, tip overlays that do not flow gracefully into the back are prone to failure, backing that is not neatly trimmed will lift, roughly cut nocks will prematurely wear strings, poorly tapered limbs will either be weak or excessively heavy, a poor finish will eventually admit moisture, and so on. A well built bow is beautiful by design.
I don't think anyone is saying they don't like the eye candy. Just that the bow had better be a shooter first and foremost. Most of what you mention is what is required of a bow to be a great bow.  The eye candy is the snake skins, custom paint, or colorfull laminations. If you read "Hunting the Osage Bow," Torges would have you believe that the character bows that usually win are inferior bows.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mamba

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 10:37:28 pm »
Gordon I hope I didn't say anything stupid to make you stop posting for BOTM.I truely enjoy looking at your work and for you to decline would not be right.
 I VOTE there will be no forfitures if Oldbow submits your work.All in favor say eye!
Ray/NY

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 12:28:07 am »
Gordon, it would be a great in justice if you wheren't to compete for any future BOM's, you're raising the bar as of late, and I belive many bowyers will agree with me that you're bows are making us try just a little harder ;)

please keep them coming you're an inspiration
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 01:25:27 am »
Justin, snakeskins and paint job notwithstanding, much of what gives a bow eye appeal are the same things that make it perform well. With bows, form and function are intertwined - that's why I love building and looking at them.

Mamba, it was nothing you said. Manny, I'm going to take a break for a while and focus on exploring new woods, techniques, designs, and artistic forms. But I will be back - with a vengeance!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:53:06 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 01:46:20 am »
Gordon, You are a good sport. ;) I'm looking forward to seeing(with a vengeance) your new "stuff" when you are ready to show it again.

So as not to put Don(OldBow) to too much extra trouble, if anyone doesn't want their bows considered for BOM, just insert "NOT FOR BOM"or "NO BOM"  in with your title when you post pics of your bows. That way Don will know from the beginning to eliminate your bow for consideration. We still wanna see those bows even though you don't want them in BOM.
   And! Everyone that builds wood bow, be you seasoned or green, should post pics of your bows if possible. We are here to help the "green" bowyers with any problems and cut the seasoned guys to ribbons! ;D   Thats what this site is all about. The sharing of experiences and information.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 02:20:12 am »
Gordon, I couldn't agree more that the craftsmanship being incorporated into a finished bow is part of it's beauty, for that matter I admire the eye candy as well, just not for me personally. Most of us are in this sport with slightly different objectives, sometimes our objectives may even change. I have often felt that performance related threads were squashed a little prematurely and this has limited greatly my particapation in many of the general primitive archery forums. I have seen many guys like yourself who as they reach a higher level of skill tend to just fade away, others stay around but become quieter. I like to see the old timers show off their stuff, and even if they hold back a few tricks here and there, which is rare. The new commers enthusiasm is often a great equalizer to the old timers experience. Makes for a classic dual! Steve

Offline Gordon

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 02:37:49 am »
Thank you Pat - I promise not to disappoint.

Well said Badger, but don't worry - I'm not going out quietly  ;)
Gordon

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:39 am »
   "I have often felt that performance related threads were squashed a little prematurely and this has limited greatly my participation  in many of the general primitive archery forums." Well said Steve, you are not alone...............bob

Offline StanM

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2007, 03:17:03 am »
Be a sad day for me when any of the fine bowyers on this site stop posting for consideration for BOM.  I don't like the idea of limiting the number of times a person can win in a year at all.  Be like tellin' Tiger he can't play in the U.S. Open if he wins the Masters  ;)

I think too much is made of multiple winners.  I vote for the bows and not the bowyers anyway and to my knowledge no bow has ever one twice.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2007, 04:00:01 am »
Well said Stan, If you're putting out a great product time and time again, you should be rewarded, and you'll be a greater inspiration to us all to improve our products.

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2007, 04:14:26 am »

BOM without Gordon Ferlitsch would just not be the same.

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 06:50:29 am »
Gordon it was me who brought up the one win per year idea. It was not directed at you personally or anyone else. I was stating an opinion
maybe an unpopular opinion but my opinion. Nothing more nothing less. But while on the subject let me ask you this. Was your last winning bow truly exceptional work for you? Or was it just another well crafted bow that looked pretty?

Enter or not its your call but either way make sure to continue posting as your an awesome bowyer.

I can't help but notice that people are swayed more by the appearance of a bow than by its function, put skins on a piece of wood and folks ohhh and ahhhh
to me skins are so commonplace that they have lost their attraction.

Badger I've wondered why you don't post pictures of your work?

Ok have I broken enuf eggs yet to make a cake?

Remember an opinion is like an #?*hole everyone has one ;D

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI