Author Topic: Full draw pictures  (Read 36404 times)

marvin

Re: Full draw pictures
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2007, 02:42:20 pm »
outstanding thread and comments!

I've spent way too much time thinking about this "issue" of winning BOM multiple times. Bottom line is the community as a whole votes for what they, as best as can be determined from pictures, what the Best Bow is. If people don't think a person should win more then once then they can just vote fro someone else. No need to change the rules.

I would humbly ask that people PLEASE post their bows regardless of the BOM contest. This site is not about the contest it's about sharing and learning primitive archery.

As for criticism and praise. There's a couple of simple things we can do to avoid problems.

Try to always find something positive/good to say about the bow and if you have CONTRUCTIVE criticism to offer do so with the utmost respect. Let the person know your trying to help them and not just putting them down. And as mom used to say, "if you can't find anything good to say don't say anything at all"

That's my $.02

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2007, 02:46:05 pm »

Dana, I've been reading your comments with much interest, and one conclusion I've come to is the following...

fer instance where I live there is no osage, yew, ERC, mulberry, locust, elm, rattlesnakes, knappable rock, no primitive archer clubs or shoots etc. Don't own land to cut wood and its illegal to cut on state or federal land

...you need to pull up roots and move down south where the osage trees grow with character, and the timber rattlers are healthy...did I forget to mention "Dover Flint"? ;D

ok, yall can get serious again now... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2007, 03:08:05 pm »
Funny ya should bring up that subject Greg, I'm 5 years away from retirement on this job. I broached the subject with the wife
the other day about moving south. She didn't care for the idea to much ??? I'm really getting tired of 9 months of crappy weather, today is nice
71 degrees this is only the third day this year that the temp has hit 70 here in Manistique, of course were right on Lake Michigan with breezes
off the lake keeping the temp down, I'm also getting real fed up with Michigans hunting laws and fees. So If I move to Tenn will ya teach me to cook Osage? ;D

Gordon you did make it clear that your bow could have been better and I appreciate that you stated that fact. Regardless your a top notch bowyer with tons of skill and an artistic talent to boot. I always enjoy your posts so it would be a shame if ya quit posting your bows. Isn't it amazing that when we all disagree on something we end up finding common ground. Ok I'm done for the day need to make shavings ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2007, 03:45:47 pm »
Thanks Marvin.  I've written two messages now, having spent over an hour on it today at separate times, and not posted them.  Yours really hit the mark I was aiming for.

The only thing I can add to the discussion is this.  I wish more folks would post their projects, or parts of same, as they build along.  To be honest, once the bow is finished the best part of it is done for me.  Seems like BOM tends to naturally focus too much attention on the finished product for my tastes.  I'd more likely vote for a bow where the bowyer bumped his head a time or two along the way but saved it, than a project that looks perfect at the end without any indication of whether the project was challenging or a gimme.

duffontap

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2007, 04:27:37 pm »
Addendum:

Lot's of the comments on this thread (and Justin's reason for starting it) have been stating that a truly excellent bow--first and foremost--needs to be well-tillered and designed.  We cannot test each bow before we vote but very good photographs can tell a lot about how a bow will perform.  That being said, very good pictures of the tiller are important.  Tillering trees are lifeless things but they help us produce superior bows so I think a picture on the tree should always be included if possible. 

I wasn't trying to be harsh with Gordon at all.  He is a major celebrity here and has won more times than anyone.  The 'why did your bow win' part of my comment was meant to illustrate that bows are not always picked because of excellent design, tiller, or performance.  Gordon was very forthright about the amount of set the bow took and the fact that he would build it differently if he did it again.  Yet, it won in a landslide--anihilating a lineup of excellent bows.  More often than not, beauty will trump everything else. 

I appreciate all the comments here about how much people like seeing the bows.  After I won BOM in November I stopped posting bows altogether.  I just thought people might be getting tired of seeing what I'm doing.  I'll try to get into a rythm of posting bows again, too. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35:26 pm »
The funny thing about posting bows is that the guys that the guys that benefit from Gordon posting his bows are the new guys also.  If Gordon, Trapper, Marc and others don't post their bows, the new guys wont see what is possible and push their own ability.  I always looked for the straightest cleanest staves I could find. After seeing some of the bows posted, I look for a solid piece of wood of any shape.  This makes a better bowyer. I have never won BOM, but if the field is limited, what does winning mean. 

If you choose not to enter that is your business. But please post your bows. If not I will have to go to the store and stare at compounds if I want to see bows. Primitive bows are all eye candy to me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2007, 05:30:56 pm »
JD, first let me say that I cannot conceive how anyone could tire of seeing your work – I certainly never will!

The discussion about f/d shots on a tillering tree brings to mind something that has perplexed me for some time now. If you look at the f/d shot of Badger’s recent submission (now THAT’s an ambush bow) you will notice that the limb on the right appears to bend less near the fade than the other limb. But I bet if the limbs were reversed the limb on the right would still appear that way. I’ve noticed the same effect with my tiller tree and I now sight down each limb when the bow is braced to make sure I see the appropriate curvature near each fade rather than rely strictly on what I see on the tree. At first I thought it was the angle, or maybe the light, or just me but then I noticed the same effect in Badger’s picture. Has anyone else experienced this? ???
Gordon

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2007, 05:33:25 pm »
JD, I don't think any of us will ever get tired of seeing pics of bows, that's one of the main reasons we're here. I haven't had much time lately to work on bows, so I can make them vicariously through y'all lol. Don't dare let something like that crabapple bow you posted slip by without showing us some pics :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2007, 05:37:14 pm »
There has been alot of good points made .This is a good Thread.I would hate to see anyone not post a bow because they have won before.I like to see all the bows and get some new ideas.Any way to say I'm not going to post my bow for BOM is kinda prissy,like saying I know I'd win any way. :-\
    I was lucky enough to get a hat,and when I posted my pictures I had no idea it would be a winner,(the first Tie).It was a "plain Jane" looking Osage,didn't even have a grip.So the simple ones win too.It was also my first "good" bow and I was proud as hell,after being inspired by bows of Marc's,Jawge,Marvin,Badger's,ya'll get the picture.
    Maybe Gordon's bow didn't get all those votes for being pretty.It might be that everybody voted for it because they didn't mind 2" of set in such a short bow.And would still make a good hunting bow.I'm with Medicinewheel.If the same person wins 12 times a year,more power to him.Keep raising the bar.
    Now I'll give my opinion and everybody can take it for whatever it's worth.I believe sometimes there is too much concern on here about winning and being "famous" then just making bows and having fun. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »
Primitive bows are all eye candy to me.

I agree Justin! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2007, 07:46:18 pm »
I believe sometimes there is too much concern on here about winning and being "famous" then just making bows and having fun. :)
YEP!!! I don't make bows to win BOM, just like I don't hunt for anyone else's benefit.  I do it because I like it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2007, 07:49:16 pm »
JD, I don't think any of us will ever get tired of seeing pics of bows,
OH speak for yourself. I personally am sick of seeing all those perfect bows.  I want to see a broken one.  Haven't you heard, if you aren't breaking them, you ain't making them.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2007, 09:17:39 pm »
JD, I don't think any of us will ever get tired of seeing pics of bows,
OH speak for yourself. I personally am sick of seeing all those perfect bows.  I want to see a broken one.  Haven't you heard, if you aren't breaking them, you ain't making them.  ;D Justin

You asked for it:  eye candy.

J. D.

330bull

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2007, 09:26:42 pm »
Vine Maple kindling?...I know that one all too well!

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2007, 09:28:10 pm »
          Hmmm ! Looks familiar ! >:( ;D.....bob