Author Topic: Full draw pictures  (Read 37108 times)

Offline StanM

Re: Full draw pictures
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 01:33:51 pm »
Good thread, Justin.

Like others I'm a fan of full draw pics drawn by hand.  Though I'm relatively new to this site, I've been active on other sites for quite a while and have seen many, many pics of selfbows.

At this stage in my own bowmaking, the tiller is the ONLY thing for me.  The month's that I've voted for BOM, that is my most important criteria.  The eye candy stuff doesn't do nearly as much for me. 

I'm also a guy that chrono's everything I make.  I know, I know, chrono's aren't "primitive" but I know for myself that the challenge is in trying to coax a good performing bow out of wood.  Without the chrono, so much is subjective for me.  This is not to say that speed is everything, I like quiet and low handshock as well, but speed I can measure, set I can measure, draw weight I can measure.

I'd take an ugly good performing bow over a beautiful "dog" any day of the week.

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 01:41:54 pm »
Joe, Perfect till doesn't necessarily mean a perfect bend throughout the bows length or each limb. Look at Manny's latest snake bow :o. By no stretch of the imagination does that bow bend evenly through the limbs but it has perfect tiller for what it is...both limbs are taking their fair share of the stresses.
   If your bow shoots well with little or no shock then you've done good. ;D The more experience you have building bows the better you will get. The more you look at bows held at full draw with a neutral background and the bow presented at a right angle to the camera, the better it is to see the tiller of it. I believe this is what Justin was going for with this thread.  ;)  If we could hold and shoot each of the bows we would probably have a different opinion of them but that is a luxery we don't have. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 01:46:56 pm »
If we could hold and shoot each of the bows we would probably have a different opinion of them but that is a luxery we don't have. Pat
Wouldn't it be fun though.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 02:36:08 pm »
Yea it sure would be, send yer bows to me and I will take real nice pics ;D

I'm surprised no one has jumped on me for my opinion on the BOM contest, just goes to show
what a fine bunch of folks you all are.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 02:54:08 pm »

I think all of us want to not only make a good performing bow, but if possible one that looks good as well. If I'm going to hunt with a bow(no offense meant to those that don't hunt, that's just what I do), I'd rather have a good performing bow over one that performs poorly but looks good.

I've only had one of my bows posted, and I tried to portray it in natural settings to its best light. After reading some of the comments, that may not be the best way to go about it...although everyone has an option of the type pictures they take I guess. I agree that what is most important about a bow is how well it is made, not how good it looks which is secondary in my opinion.

I big time cant the bow when at full draw. Although a picture of that is fine, I agree that a good vertical side full draw profile should be included with the pictures.

Maybe some discussion should take place with some of the following topics.
1) If someone wants their bow to be considered for BOM, they say so up front when posting their pictures???
2) Certain views of the bow must be included, i.e. side braced, side unbraced, side full draw vertical, end-to-end (show string crossing handle), etc.???
3) If possible a solid background to clearly show bows profile???
4) Should a person be allowed to win BOM more then once a year?
5)other...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 03:05:42 pm »
I think anybody should be aloud to win multiple times if they are putting out an outstanding product time and time again. (I think we should just ban Gordon for good ;D)

Greg, picture of the string relation to the handle is a good Idea

And I think full draw from both sides to, because selfbows might have a different look on each side, I know my last 2 did a lot
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 03:11:50 pm »

Mannie, your last couple of bows were so cool they needed pic's from all 360 degrees!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 04:18:35 pm »
I don't want to eliminate anyone because they didn't post the pictures I like. Its just not real likely that they will get my vote, if I cant see the tiller very clearly.  I like the fact that many posted full draw from both sides on his last bows.  If you look from one side it looks like the tiller is off slightly. If you look from the other side you can see the tiller is spot on, it just has a character spot on the other side.  This is also the reason why the braced and unbraced profile are so important.  If the bow had a lot of natural reflex in one limb it will look goofy at full draw. However, if you see the relaxed profile and the braced profile you can see that the tiller can be perfect without having a perfect arc.

Like others have said, I will also give my vote to a guy who produces a bow that is higher quality and shows great improvement over his other bows.  It cant just be good for him, it has to be great for him.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mamba

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 06:21:36 pm »
I usually take a couple shots with my 10 second timer,thats not a lot of time to pick up the bow draw and anchor.The pic that looks the best I'll show.
  If I EVER win bow of the month my head will be so big I WILL NEED BIGGER SHOULDERS.
  My head will be so big I will move to Holliywood and become a star,or join the circus (probably the later).
  I may just become a legend in my own mind   ;D
Ray/NY

Offline mamba

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 06:58:23 pm »
Yep thats a mellon for sure :o
Ray/NY

duffontap

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 07:00:12 pm »
I have finally found a use for the 'mirror effect' on my laptop camera.  Wow.  My actual head is slightly smaller. ;)

J. D. Duff

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 08:02:42 pm »
I much prefer a natural full-draw as long as the angle, lighting or background does not obscure the true nature of the tiller. Rack mounts leave me cold.

I found people’s comments about form vs. function interesting. If the craftsman has the skills to properly tiller a bow, he certainly possess the skills to make his work visually pleasing - there is no excuse for making an unattractive bow. I would never vote for an ugly bow no matter how good the tiller or cast. But I would never vote for a poorly tillered bow either.

A suggestion I would like to respectfully make of my fellow bowyers is to pay closer attention to your photography. I’m not suggesting that photos be on the level of a professional, but pay attention to the basics, i.e. shadows, composition, background, lighting, etc. For example, it’s so much easier to appreciate someone’s excellent tip work when the picture is in focus, or a fine snakeskin backing when the colors are not washed out. When so much care and effort goes into your work, why hide it with a poor photograph?

Finally, regarding the BOM issue that Pat has raised – as a repeat winner and a recipient of a number of personal messages regarding this subject I’ve thought a lot about this. I can understand the desire to make BOM winners a more inclusive group. On the other hand, I like to see the bar continually raised and the best work rise to the top. I enjoy going head to head with the likes of Manny, Ryan, Keenan, Pat, Marc, JD, Pappy, Frank and the many other fine bowyers who contribute to this site. It has certainly motivated me to improve my skills. That said, I recognize that there can be too much of a good thing and that I have been blessed by this community more than I really deserve so I will ask Don to remove me from further BOM consideration.

Respectfully,

Gordon Ferlitsch
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 08:17:12 pm »
Actually Gordon, I don't think Pat brought up the issue of BOM.  Until PA changes the rules on BOM, which may or may not ever happen, everyone is welcome to submit as many bows as they wish.  If you don't wish to submit that is your business, by do it on your own accord, not on any other pretense.   Justin

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 08:58:12 pm »
I do so on my own accord Justin. Thank you.
Gordon

jamie

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 09:30:21 pm »
i d like to see more people post an f/d curve with the pics.