Author Topic: Whats the count?  (Read 21744 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Whats the count?
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:04 pm »
 My recipient got his 3 weeks ago. Aint heard a word. I know it was delivered because of the confernation. I thought it looked and shot nice.  :-\ I guess he didn't like it and just don't want to say anything ???
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:43 pm »
My recipient got his 3 weeks ago. Aint heard a word. I know it was delivered because of the confernation. I thought it looked and shot nice.  :-\ I guess he didn't like it and just don't want to say anything ???

Have you pmed that person and ask if they recieved there bow? I had a post man drop a package at the house down the road and it was vacant, the package sat there for over a week before they figured out what they did when I reported it.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 01:30:50 pm »
I'm still running to the window when I hear the mailwoman driving up.  Haven't seen any bow shaped packages yet :(
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »
 Josh the answer is yes. But I would like to end this part on here. I don't want any one thinking bad about anyone ealse and that's not why I posted :-[ I should have kept my fingers shut. They listen to my brain to much sometimes :-\
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2011, 01:46:03 pm »
heated and straightened last nite, final tiller. then some shooting and final finish over the weekend. got a nice bit of salmon skin ready for the handle. hope i can pull that off. never used salmon skin before...it may not ship till right before the holiday weekend and with the 4th falling on monday the person getting this osage stick will most likely receive after the holiday... but i really wanna shoot it in good. wish me luck!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2011, 02:31:42 pm »
Sadiejane, be sure to share some pics of the Salmon skin...I really want to try some fish skin of some sort on an Osage bow for a friend of mine in CA that takes me ocean fishing every couple years and he is a bowfishing nut! 
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »
lee-will let ya know. right now it is well dried into rawhide. i found a recipe for tanning fish skin using egg yolks and oil that is supposed to be relatively simple and quick. gonna give it a try tomorrow and see what happens...have lots of good leather if it doesnt work out. but have really been wanting to try it. and will try again even if it doesnt work out for this bow. saw on paleoplanet an amazing handle treatment using salmon skin.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:40 pm »
Very cool, so is it the average "garden variety" Salmon that a guy can buy from any good meat/poultry & fish shop?  Hadn't thought about that as an option for limb skins but maybe that would work ok?
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2011, 05:46:14 pm »
Mine should be shipping out this afternoon. I'm excited!

Offline SA

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2011, 08:30:07 pm »
still waiting on mine but i'm sure i will like it no matter what, just had fun participating can't wait till the next one..

thaks for the plug jw halverson :) i'm glad you like it. i learned alot from this build and also learnd alot about packing bows....never use styrofoam and duct tape  ;D
these trades are fun just being able to trade with other bowyers and meet like minded people (lots of people consider this a unusual hobby   ::)  iv'e only been at it for about a year and a half so still pretty green,but will be doin this for a while.
Shawn Acker

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »
Well I was going along nicely with the tillering last night, shortened the string to get the final brace height and, what do you know, when I pulled it to 25'' a splinter popped up on the back... I'm pretty short on time and I hope the wrap will hold up. I really don't want to ask the teacher for an extension! A bit stressful but with a bit of luck, it'll all fall into place. This bow is a bit special, the first cable backed bow I try so I'm learning.

Hope all your bows are coming along nicely,
keep up the good work!
Matt
Quebec, Canada

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:46 pm »
Got my project to a smooth tiller today.  It's about 15 lbs heavy (guessing), and I intend to carefully stalk tiller on this one so I don't come in too light.

I had to go with drawing a straight line down the sides of the limbs to tiller because of a couple odd placed reflexes and deflexes.  I got it on short string now and it looks like crap if I pay attention to the shape of the wood.  But when I draw the lines on the sides, you can see the fair curves of the limbs plainly. 

I'm tired of sweating over this one and can't wait until it's finished!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2011, 12:04:18 am »
Mine finally went in the mail today.  Hopefully the USPS does it's part now.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:01 am »
Haven't received a trade bow yet and wanted to give whoever drew my name a head's up that I am gonna be leaving town with the family for a lil' vacation (and hog hunt) tomorrow. Won't be back until the 5th of July, so if you happen to be the person who drew my name and is soon to become my new bestest friend please understand that if you have sent or are sending the bow at this point that I won't be getting it until I get back to town. The address I provided is my business address and the package will be in safe keeping until I can pick it up, so no worries there.

Wish me luck all, hopefully when I get back I'll be able to change my moniker from "Almostpighunter" to "Pighunter"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2011, 01:16:39 am »
Long as you don't end up with the nickname Hog Bait!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.