Author Topic: new project  (Read 2454 times)

Offline iowabow

new project
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:20 am »
This is an arrow head found north of burlington near the mississippi river.  I like the corner notch on this point.  Any idea what kind of flint this is? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:02:22 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

Re: new project
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:43:24 am »
Looks like a translucent agate to me. Almost like Montana .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:59 am »
No idea but it's purdy. Looks like some stuff brother brought in from Chile for me, but i doubt they hauled any up from there back in the day ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:19:49 pm »
 Yeah, I vote for agate also.It was a trade Item all along the western end of the Missouri river. I found points,tools and debitage all along the south bank of Fort Peck Reservoir in east montana. That whole area is an archy site. Someone coulda jumped in a canoe and went visiting,or; Someone got to far west and got an arra in the a$*..for thier trouble and took it home. Ha !  Nice find  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 05:24:03 pm »
well this is the first one.  I intentionally broke the ear so it would match and when I made the second one I just could not knock it off.  This notch is the best one I have done yet.  My point is too thin but I started with a thin flake.  Do you all think that this point style had the long ear?

Offline maddog314

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »
Looks like agate that we would find in Wyoming on the rach I grew up on. Thats cool stuff ;)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:55:30 pm »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »
Looks like a perfect match John. but ya forgot to knock the tip off ::). I would say the ears on the old one were comparable to yours. Good notching..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:43 am »
That is nice, i really like the real one can you send it my way?
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 06:51:00 pm »
Nice point and reproduction too. I second what Maddog said since we grew up in the same house. We called it Moss Agate, I've heard it called Montana Agate as well. Wish I had gotten into this knapping when I lived there. That Agate is all over the place up there.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:14 am »
It is almost like glass it is so clear. I made a second point that I will post when I make the third. It is an easy point to make.  Just make a triangle and Connor notch it carefully and slowly.  You have to be jarful when you start the corner to go slow and take small flakes.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:46:08 am »
Here is the second one!

Offline Tower

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:58:22 am »
Nice point ,I like the bluish color.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »
Johnathan looks like uve made some improvement since the last time we spoke...Great work man where u find that agate?  Looks good!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 03:30:53 pm »
A friend of mind found it north of burlington near the missisippi river and gave it to me