Author Topic: Normanskill can it BE???  (Read 1883 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Normanskill can it BE???
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »
Hi guys been awhile and couldnt wait to be back!  I found a nodule of silicified shale a green blue in the hudson valley area not far from my home.  I am sorry about the picture quality im using an outdated cell phone.   I am glad to be back and perhaps I could knap something out of this nodule.  It flakes and thats all that matters.  I have seen some artifacts out of this type of chert so it will be interesting to see what I can make...Hey guys Thank YOU!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Normanskill can it BE???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:15:04 pm »
Just wanted to say that Normanskill comes in a lot of shades and colors from black to green speckled to lightning bolt ...this isnt  the best grade going some say the black is glassier I have a few chunks of the high grade stuff from Athens Hill and Flintmine hill I just would rather save it...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
Welcome back Russ. Hope all is well for you now! Looking forward to looking at some more of your work on here.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »
hey bud welcome back. the green stuff is definetly the better of the grades of normanskill. however finding it without fractures is a different story
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:27:31 pm »
Does look like theres some fractures in there but bygolly looks like genuine knappable rock :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:28 pm »
Welcome back, Russ. Bust some of that rock and show us what itreally looks like.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:25:37 am »
Thanx guys and yeah it has tons of fractures I was just happy to find it it is a real cool color...The first piece I knocked off was able to work it down ...will get back to u all sometime today!

Russ