Author Topic: anyone fond of persimmon?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
anyone fond of persimmon?
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:18:11 am »
ok...I've started stocking up on staves...
hickory and kentucky coffee tree so far, quartered end glued, and set to cure in barn rafters
hackberry will be next...why not try a recurve or two?

but have a question anyone here have experience with persimmon?
i have some straight tall persimmon 9" to 11" diameter growing in a hollow.
don't want to cut any unless they make good bow-wood.

I cut 8' thin poles from persimmon a couple years ago for a bent frame structure...but wasn't to impressed.
after peeling they just didn't enjoy being bent at all.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline jonathan creason

Re: anyone fond of persimmon?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:25:26 am »
I've never built one myself, but I've seen a few beautiful persimmon bows on here from other members.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:35:47 am »
Persimmon is great bow wood. Yields well to heat also.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:40:42 am »
I have cut a few trees.  All of them up til this last one hade severe grain twist.  More than 180 degrees in 6'.  This last one has some but it is not to bad.  I am gonna give it a go once it dries.  Be warned that it will twist up and draw all over the place so rough it in when it is fresh cut them clamp down well so it will not twist so bad.  As far as a bow I have always heard it will make a fine bow, and I have seen a few.  I say give it a try.  Fire up the chain saw.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:02:16 am »
Persimmon is great Bow wood.... just make sure that when You split it ...you clamp it down good...so it doesn't twist up on you...every piece that I have split and Stacked...looked like a Propeller in a month...but if reduced..and clamped to dry...they work great
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:14:07 am »
Richard,

the only problem i have ever had with persimmon was finding it straight and it ending up with severe propeller twist.  from the looks of your picture though, you were lucky to end up with straight pieces of product.  good luck.

Luke the drifter

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:26:28 am »
I have a nice stave that I picked up at the Classic in 09.  It' been clamped to a stud in my basement since then.   Eventually I'll get to it, but I remember Shannon telling me to make sure to clamp it to something.  Glad I did after reading these posts. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:20:35 pm »
Luke...that aint Persimmon in the top Picture...sure looks like Hic to me...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 01:10:48 pm »
thanks for the warning.
appreciate the advice about clamping persimmon !!
i don't know about y'all but i hate cutting any prime wood and wasting it by my ignorance.
like leaving bark on poles all summer...just to have wood ruined by bark beetle larvae.

yep, the wood in that picture is 4 staves of hickory and the rest K.Coffee Tree.
(here's K Coffee Tree being split below). love the color and its making some great staves.

thanks again ,guess I'll fire up the saw
and go after some persimmon and think of a good clamping system
for about 8 staves
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...