Author Topic: North Carolina Knap-in  (Read 4827 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: North Carolina Knap-in
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »
I have to ask, Is Dick Bernier still up there with yall?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline piper

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 08:36:20 pm »
Mullet looks like his last post on PP was 9/08 and he was 72 then i hope he is around somewere.....Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline toms22

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:30 pm »
Piper I missed the knap-in that you had this spring. I plan on coming if you have another one this fall. I hope we can have a knap-in somewhere in North Carolina this year. Tom

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:32 am »
I've been holding off posting on this thread for a few reasons.

Like Joe said, losing Rob Hogan the way we did when all he was trying to do was make his farm ready for our knap-in was tough to take. I really hate that he wasn't able to see the knap-in on his own property.  Rob came to our first knap-in in Burlington and had such a great time that he agreed to allow us to do it on his land a few seconds after we asked. To lose such a good guy & friend is a difficult thing to get over.  The world is not a beter place without him.

Though this is hardly the place to discuss my personal life, my wife & I are going through a rough time in our relationship. If things keep going the way they are, I might become single again and may have more free time to devote to things like a knap-in in the future.  My work volume has also declined alarmingly, which doesn't give me as much free time or spare money to play with.

Arranging the knap-in takes more time & money than I ever imagined it would.  I have lost money on each one of these events.  I also have some catching up to do on my deer hunting.  Last Fall was the first year I was able to get back into the woods during archery season thanks to a crossbow permit.  As much as I love bowhunting, that part of my life had been on hold since the wreck I was in on 4-21-07.  I have been working at 3 different places in exchange for hunting rights because I can't afford to pay to lease them.  Getting to hunt sweet pieces of private land is worth the time & effort it takes to earn that right.

I approached Dick Bernier last year to see if he wanted to participate or visit the knap-in, but he was dealing with family matters out of state and couldn't make it.  I know that the first two knap-ins in Burlington cost him a lot of money too.

I hope you understand my position.  I haven't been spending nearly as much knapping or posting here lately, but my life has some seriously pressing needs right now.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline piper

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 02:21:48 pm »
Jim...I hate to here the bad news but it is GOOD to here from YOU.......I just got out of the Hosptile yesterday...(Good Mothers Day for the wife)But I think thing are going back my way now....I would love to have you at my First fall Knapp in/deer hunt..(you can use a crossbow)but don't tell nobody......I hope you get things work out for the better..........Your Friend Curt

Western North Carolina

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 06:14:19 pm »
Hate to hear that, Jim. Y'all know I'm up for it wherever if nothing happens, haven't missed one yet. Curt, that sounds like a good idea and a good time. Eddie, Dick's still around, I talk to him every now and then, he's just been dealing with stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 07:38:16 pm »
Jim, just letting you know that you helped me get some fundamentals of knapping down at the last NC knap in and I will be forever grateful for that. Hope things start getting better for you and will be keeping you in my prayers.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 12:24:46 am »
I'm glad Dick is still here with us. I guess dealing with "out of state" is maybe down here in Land Of Lakes, Fl., where his son lives, 40 miles from me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline piper

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:43 pm »
plowing one of the Deer plots for this fall.........................................Curt

Western North Carolina

JustinNC

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »
I hope I get drawn. Yall, Curt has a killer place up there.

Offline Irontom

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 08:36:36 pm »
I would be interested in the info for that Pittsboro rock-swap. 

Hopefully I'll find the time and tools to start knapping some stuff before then, lol.  I've been lurking around here since before the last NC-Knapin and still haven't made the time to break some rock.  I do have a board-bow half finished at least.  Too many hobbies and not enough hours in the day...