Author Topic: Skinned my trade bow today  (Read 6198 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Skinned my trade bow today
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:48 pm »
Well, after the bow survived the weekend of shooting at the Classic, I decided it was time to start finishing it up.  I smoothed the edges and gave it a good sanding yesterday.  Today, I put the snake skins down that I got from Criveraville in trade.  I think it is starting to look good.  This weekend I should get the skins trimmed up and start putting down the tru-oil.  Add a handle wrap and it will be on its way.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Skinned my trade bow today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:24:26 pm »
Looking good!!! You have my address or should I give it to you now? ;)
Rockford, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »
that's sweet, hope it's a 29" draw ::), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »
I ain't tellin'.  But I will tell you one thing.  Don't ever throw a bucket of sawdust on a fire.  I did that right after taking those pictures and nearly lost my eyebrows.  It was like pouring a cup of gas on it.  Wow!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:15 pm »
Nice job Clint. Whoever gets that bow is getting a winner Im sure. I like how dark those skins are, very cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:20 pm »
Man that is SWEEEEET!!!!! Nice work so far!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »
  Don't ever throw a bucket of sawdust on a fire.  I did that right after taking those pictures and nearly lost my eyebrows.  It was like pouring a cup of gas on it.  Wow!

Now that's funny. I just did that this past weekend :D I bet I don't forget that ::)
By the way. Hope it don't take long to get here ;D

Very nice looking bow!!!!
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:29:57 pm »
great looking bow.
bryan irwin

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:07 pm »
very cool skin :) its hard to get rattler skin nowadays.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:32:02 pm »
That's looking great.  I've been waiting on starting mine for some seasoning of a stave, but I think I've got to get going on it this weekend.  I'm really enjoying how high the bar is being set.
1’—>1’

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 04:32:28 pm »
Looks like she's going to be a dandy!
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »
Clint,

Those skins look super nice.. Looks like a bowyer is going to be very happy with this bow.. this bow has a neat story.  Clint got these skins in a trade for a hickory stave that went to Darcy Ellis in Canada.  

Here's how it went.  My first trade on here was bad.. on my part.  the stave Darcy got was no bueno.  I looked and saw Osage Outlaw and PM'ed him.  Asked for an Osage stave.  No such luck, but he had hickory.  I explained that I needed it shipped to Canada.  And in exchange Clint got the skins, Darcy got a super excellent stave and the person that gets this bow should know, that it was Clint doing a good deed for skins that were to be given away..  That's how you pay it forward.  I also must mention that Darcy was super nice and made it clear that I did not have to send him more wood, He's a nice guy...

So this bow has a little neat story of generosity, and helping each other out with disregard for international borders and different ways of life.. Just good folks helping each other out.. Thank you Clint.  I was in a bind and you helped me out...

Maybe the name of your bow should be, 'Tejas' which was the Native American name for East Texas tribes meaning friend.  
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 09:41:11 pm »
It was a good trade.  Two guys traded for items to be gifted to two other people.  I was glad to help out.  It was also nice to spice up my trade bow too. 

I trimmed the sides of the skins off and brought the bow to work tonight so I can sand it on my lunch break.  Tomorrow it will get the first coat of tru-oil.  I was hoping to get all of this done today before I left for work, but my car died on the way home this morning and I had to take care of that first.  Something is always trying to get in the way of bowmaking.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 03:20:30 am »
That's a beautifull bow........I love those dark skins. Someone is gonna be very happy with that.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:04:58 pm »
very nice, can'twait to see the bow finished
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis