Author Topic: Reeally gettin into this flute making thing.  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Reeally gettin into this flute making thing.
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:48:11 am »
So far I have made 6 flutes.  I got a router and built a jig for it and now it is super easy to get the chambers of both halves carved out... I have been a flute building machine lately.   ;D ;D  I have given 3 of them away to friends/my dad  and loaned one out... these are my 2 that I play every day.  The darker one was my 2nd flute and the lighter one with the knot is my 6th...
The darker flute with the duck is in the key of F# and the one with the knot is in the key of G.  I am going to post a video of the G.   I would really like to trade another flute maker on here a flute so I can compare it to mine so I can see what I need to improve on.  These are the only flutes I have ever played so I don't know if they overblow too easy, don't have enough back pressure, etc. etc.  If there are any other flute builders on here that would like to trade a flute for a flute, please send me a pm.  Or if you see anything obvious that I can improve on in my design, I would appreciate that too.  Thanks for looking!  :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: Reeally gettin into this flute making thing.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:14 am »
Here's the G.  It is my first time with tuning holes... The others I've made I just sheared off the end to get my low note.  I really wanted to save the knot at the end of this one though...

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:54:05 am »
Here's a video so you can hear how the G sounds... I really need to quit buildin 'em for awhile and practice playing, LOL.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:26 am »
You seem to be doing well, too.  The flutes are ovely and that sound clip is great.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:04:50 am »
thanks ron! appreciate it a bunch :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:52:25 am »
Beautiful work Josh,they look nice and I love the sound,I got to get me one of them. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:02 am »
thanks pappy!   :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »
WOW Those look great! nice work and the sound byte is really good ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 02:38:38 pm »
thanks Josh!

Offline raghorns

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:46:11 pm »
Josh, PLEASE do a build-a- long! That is so cool.
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:21:50 am »
lol thanks raghorns, A guy named Michael already did one a few weeks ago.. that is the build along that got me started.  I will post a link. Good luck with yours!  :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24374.0.html

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 02:35:58 am »
Those look and sound great Josh.  Glad to see you haven't shed any blood yet either ;)

Offline Josh

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:42:42 am »
thanks Cameroo!  ...I absolutely have to be very very careful when I use sharp tools because I am on blood thinners.  If I get cut I might not be able to get it to stop bleeding...  :o

Offline raghorns

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 12:50:31 am »
Josh,

Thanks for posting the link...the more I see and hear, the more interested I am. I am only imagining how awesome that must be to learn to play on one that you built.

Of all things I saw in the local newspaper that there will be a gathering of flute makers at an art shop in the town we are close to, tomorrow!

I will definitely be there...thanks for sharing your post and the other one also.

Raghorns
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 12:56:53 am »
Hey Josh...if you make too many....you know I just may know a damned Yankee...and a Yooper at that...that lives in Texas now...that could make room for another one!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome