Author Topic: limb-crack hickory bow  (Read 11190 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: limb-crack hickory bow
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:01 am »
Hackberry is good.  It's supposed to be the easiest wood to recurve.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 01:08:00 am »
That is a surprising failure for hickory. I had two hickory bows fail in compression this year, both of which did fine in central Alaska and the Mojave Desert, but didn't do as well in the upstate NY sogginess.  One was just a couple weeks back, when I strung my 80# bow for the first time since mid-winter, and it just felt mushy.  Then I saw the frets in the lower limb, which had also taken another inch of string follow.  Had it in my garage for the winter, and didn't take it in when the rainy weather started.  For hickory to fail in tension, it seems like there had to be a rot issue of some sort.  Generally, you want the back crowned and the belly flat to avoid compression failure, and nobody worries about tension failure, even with major grain violation.  Odd.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:12 am »
thanks Jude,for the thoughts
we're pretty humid here too.
when i made the bow, i had no bow to compare it with, but just memories of old hickory bows we shot as a kid,
but it felt right to leave the back crowned from the trees own curve, just fine sanding and slicking it with a polishing stone
and it also seemed right to flatten the belly. but there was no hint of rot in the whole stave.

I did most of the interior shaping with cabinet scraper so as to keep everything being reduced evenly.
oh well, looking forward to the next attempt!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:35:48 am »
Prepping the back is making sure there's no finish on the wood, wiped with a solvent to make sure there's no oils and then roughing the wood up a bit with sandpaper.  You only want to do this to the area where you will be applying the sinew.  I never bothered wrapping around with sinew jut lay it down along the limb.  The few times I did such a patch I didn't even have to re-tiller the bow.  Make sure you soak the crack with hot glue before applying the patch and apply backwards pressure to the bow so that the crack is pressed tightly together.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline richardzane

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 04:53:28 pm »
tizhameh(thanks) Marc,
I'll give that a try. its just another challenge of problem solving.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:09 pm »
Start another. I'd be cringing every time I drew it if I fixed it. I think leaving a little extra wood around that knot may have kept it together. When tillering knotted areas I tend to leave them a little stiffer than the rest of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:25:16 pm »
thanks George,
i've already eyed out some "prospectives" to cut on the property.
and one thing i've learned for sure...cut and cure a BUNCH of staves. being bowless is the pits.

I'm just returning to archery after some left arm nerve damage ,
that 40# hickory was JUST the thing for getting me back in the flow.
having long arms, the 62" felt perfect (well...so I thought).