Author Topic: rock run today, thank you nclonghunter  (Read 1592 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

rock run today, thank you nclonghunter
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:27 pm »
went today and got some more kanawha black thanks to some help from nclonghunter.  It is better quality than what i had been getting maybe i can make something out of this.  It still has some freeze fractures but I think there is enough clear rock to make quite a few points & blades or at least a load of gravel ;D Ill be packing some up & sending it to nclonghunter.

As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline bryan irwin

Re: rock run today, thank you nclonghunter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
cool looking rock been talking to lyman about coming up and getting some of it how dose it knapp.
bryan irwin

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »
Im still learning but this stuff is pretty tough Lyman says it is alot like rhoylite

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:17 am »
Glad you made a haul. Good thing you got it when you did, my guess is the creek is pretty high and fast right now..
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:24 am »
I'll take 25lbs  ;).....

Seriously, Looks like good, fun, TOUGH rock to hit. If we ever meet on common ground, we'll compare rocks and find out who's is tougher :D

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
I've found some rock alot like that here in tx. I'm not sure what it is. I think it comes from a large shale deposit on the river because the colors are the same. I could be wrong . What type of formation is Rhoylite from?This is found in large tabs & boulders. Sometimes it is is so fine grained it is almost like novaculite, but it is hard to get it from the cortex. The cortex is about 3/4" thick on the fine stuff with the good material only about 5/8 thick.

/
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
ryolite is found in the slate belt here
bryan irwin

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:55 pm »
Arn't shale & slate similar?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »
the kanawha black flint lies under the slate and above the coal seam.  In some setions it is up to 3ft thick blocks and in others the layers are 3 inches thick and 5 to 12 inhes long and look like brick. it is only found along the Kanawha and Elk rivers and surrounding valleys in WV.