Author Topic: My First Backstrap...  (Read 9308 times)

JustinNC

Re: My First Backstrap...
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:55 am »
My oldest boy told me the other night, while out for a ride to look for deer..."Dad this is so boring, can we go home? The only fun parts about deer are hunting, killing, and especially eating them"................there is hope!

The one I killed last year I canned what wasnt straps or loins.........man oh man oh man was it goooooooooooooooooooooooooooodddddd.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:31:28 am »
Now I may be waaaay off here...and I am not trying to be argumentative...but I grew up in a Family of Farmers...and Backyard Butchers...and Tenderloin and Back-strap...were not the same Animal at all...now don't get me wrong...I love them both...can't beat them any way they are cooked...but I was always under the notion that Back-strap was the Outer Loin that runs along the Back beneath the Hide...and the Tenderloin is the Muscle that runs under the Backbone from the Diaphragm to about the Liver/Kidney area...and this is the most tender part of the Animal...this is where Filet Mignon is cut from... and Hatch....when my Kids come to visit....it's still back-strap and Tenderloins on the Grill...they cannot get enough of them...and I have it one better...My Wife loves Venison more than Me! And Justin....aint that really the Truth....the Best Part is Eating :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 11:37:49 am »
Now I may be waaaay off here...and I am not trying to be argumentative...but I grew up in a Family of Farmers...and Backyard Butchers...and Tenderloin and Back-strap...were not the same Animal at all...now don't get me wrong...I love them both...can't beat them any way they are cooked...but I was always under the notion that Back-strap was the Outer Loin that runs along the Back beneath the Hide...and the Tenderloin is the Muscle that runs under the Backbone from the Diaphragm to about the Liver/Kidney area...and this is the most tender part of the Animal...this is where Filet Mignon is cut from... and Hatch....when my Kids come to visit....it's still back-strap and Tenderloins on the Grill...they cannot get enough of them...and I have it one better...My Wife loves Venison more than Me! And Justin....aint that really the Truth....the Best Part is Eating :P

Everything you said is 110% true about the straps and loins........

I'll stir the pot more here.....I am NOT A PURIST......I'll take BEEF over DEER any day.  :o.........I LOVE LOVE LOVE some fried back strap, with rice and gravy and homemade bistits....but it's hard to beat beef....pork even.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:16 pm »
Justin...You didn't eat the Deep Fried battered venison that Ronnie and I cooked Up on Fry Night??? That stuff was too Die for...just about chewed itself...and was soo tasty...I had a hard time stopping!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 12:39:44 pm »
Justin...You didn't eat the Deep Fried battered venison that Ronnie and I cooked Up on Fry Night??? That stuff was too Die for...just about chewed itself...and was soo tasty...I had a hard time stopping!

I missed most of everything that night lol Had a cooker and donated food and ended up with left over low country boil and some corn and that was about it lol Don't get me wrong, I love backstrap and tenderloin about as much as any kind of beef, but until I started canning deer, I didnt care much for any of the other parts unless it was cubed and fried. That BBQ at Pappys the last night was to die for....but I could care less for a steak from a deer.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:06 pm »
even  Chicken-Fired Steak?? man...stay away from My House then...We eat them at least once a Week...Venison is on the Menu here twice a week...Chicken-Fry...Roast...Chilli...Stew...it's all good...and the tougher cuts...get an hour in the Pressure Cooker...and them they fall apart too...
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »
I like fried anything from deer........back straps any way you and cook them, same with tenderloins..........I dont care for GRILLED hams (steaks)....fried yes.

From now on, I will save the tenderloins and back straps, whole, to grill or fry......and the rest gets cut into 1" cubes, and pressure canned. 10lb for 90min 1tblsp salt (garlic. black pepper, whatever else you want to add. After that, chili, tacos, fried, favorite is just open a jar, heat it in a sauce pan, make some white rice, and spoon it over top of it like stewed beef....philly cheese steaks, BBQ..............best thing about pressure canning is not only does it taste good, it is INSTANT....just open it up, heat it up however you want and serve. and like you said. TENDER. I'll take canned deer anyday. I guess what I should have said earlier is I prefer a grilled beef steak over grilled deer steak.....same with burger, even with beef fat mixed. Otherwise Im good with deer any other way.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »
                                                                                                         ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 01:28:20 pm »
You are right EL, I prefer back strap over loin anytime,Loin is very good but a bit stringy if not sliced up right,Back strap is good any way you cook it. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

JustinNC

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 02:42:16 pm »
I generally just say backstrap and inner loins.....and even though I know the difference, call them "tenderloins" when I slice em up...even tho it's backstrap. ;D

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 02:46:43 pm »
You nailed it Scott
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »
Backstraps in my house are never sliced into steaks, they are kept as roasts even though they do not always get roasted.  Some get thrown on the grill, some are skewered on a spit and done over coals while camping, and yet others get pan seared so that they are almost venison tartare rare. 

I have been known to wrap one in bacon, pinning with toothpicks and laying it directly on a deep bed of hardwood coals!  Flip it when it looks like the bacon is about to fall off and pull it out when the bacon does fall off, let rest 10 minutes and start slicing.  It's sad to have to sacrifice the bacon, but the venison does all it can to make it up to you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »
Justin, I just found a recipe for the lowly, venison, Cubed steak. Cut into nugget size portions, a dash of Tabasco A-1 sauce, crumble blue cheese and fold over and toothpick. Then flour, dip in egg and buttermilk and roll and press seasoned breadcrumbs in real good. Then deep fry. :P  ;D, I'm going to try it this weekend.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »
Sounded really good...till you added the Mold.......... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 11:25:45 pm »
Eddie you aint got to have it that fancy for me toi eat it fried...but that sounds awesome!