Author Topic: Chasing rings  (Read 2797 times)

JustinNC

Chasing rings
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:39:48 pm »
is for the birds ;D. Think I'll stick to hickory in the future.  I just don't have the patients to get to the center of the lollypop one lick at a time.  That is all. Feel free to discuss. ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Chasing rings
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:05:54 pm »
I agree I recently got a couple sets of billets from crooketarrow and for me after working with wood you just peel the bark off and go the osage is a payne in the but IMO, im sure the guys that work with it all the time enjoy chasing rings and I will say it was kinda fun at first but after about the 5th ring I was ready be done and im still not done ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »
It wouldn't be so bad if

A) I had a good vise....there is a reason my dad got rid of this one and gave it to me......you can tighten it and tighten it....and it'll work it's self loose...not the handle but the vise itsself. The wood wiggles too much, so I'll probably just work this one leaned up in the corner.

B) I broke my hand in college and never had it fixed or worked on....just let it sit black and blue and the size of a softball for a week-10days....well now that same hand gives me fits when I have a continual grip on something for more than 5minutes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »
I agree %100 being from white wood land myself, but its hard to ignore that yellow wood!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »
Aww, you bunch a softies! Sometimes it's worth lickin that lollipop to get to the center!  >:D  >:D  ;D

I imagine most of your frustration is in your technique. Although, it could have something to do with the wood your whittlin on. Lord knows I've had some tough staves I just wanted to throw in the fire.

Keep workin at it. Not another piece a wood out there that feels so good in the hand as a well built osage bow (just my opinion.)

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »
I once shared the same sentiments,and impatient frustration in how long it took to chase that dang ring. But just recently I have changed my mind and I actually enjoy it now cus it takes me 2-3 hours instead of who knows how many more my first few times. And I know I can do it faster the more I do it. Its one of those you need to do it several times to get the right technique down. If you use a drawknife its all about proper angle of the blade and wedging it in the earlywood and it'll peel like butter(almost)  :)

And if you have an inch or so to get down to a suitable ring I use an electric hand planer to rip off the top to about 1/4" above the desired ring. Just be careful in doing this. Then I just pick back up with the drawknife at one end and drop down to my ring. No way im gonna drawknive down thru that much wood.

I think its worth the effort to get to that pristine ring....or the center of a lollipop as you call it. Just my humble opinion

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:50:42 pm »
It's all good to me I like the mindless tunnelvision work after all the stress at work. Ring chasing or bark scraping it's all the same.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »
I actually dont mind the process as much as the pain in my right hand and the wiggling stave......I can solve the wigglingness.....the pain in that hand, not sure.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:24 pm »
Get a good vise.  It will be a huge help.  I chased a ring on a piece of osage yesterday with a drawknife and really enjoyed it.  Of course it was straight, had thick rings, and only had one small pin knot.  That helped.  I have a small tv in my shop that I will turn on and listen to while I work.  That occupies my mind while I make shavings.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:47:23 pm »
Chasing a ring is the entrance fee for using the wonderful yellow osage heartwood.  In time you will get pretty fast if you want to and have the wood to learn on.  Some people enjoy chasing a ring and spend more time at it than I do.  For me it's just another step in the process to execute.   There was a time though, when I really savored that step.  Things that slow down ring chasing for me are knots that have to be attended to and very tight rings.  I try to be very fast, but with speed comes risk.  Done fast, it's also great exercise, I call it bowmaking aerobics.  I suspect there are several bowyers on the board who spend way less than 30 minutes chasing a ring on a reasonably clear stave.  But this is not a race so it doesn't matter how long it takes.  I just don't want you to swear off osage because chasing a ring is such an ordeal.  In time and with practice, it won't be a big deal at all.

Justin, something I've done this year that really helps keep the stave in position is to use a strap to hold the off limb horizontal in the vise.  Here's a pretty poor picture from my failed fencepost bow:

The vice by itself isn't all that effective at holding the bow in position when you're really cranking on it.  The vice used with a strap on the limb end (red in the picture) holds it absolutely solid.  You can really hog off wood with the draw knife when the bow is extremely solid in the vice.  I don't use the band saw much any more because the draw knife is so fast taking off limb depth and width and it's because the bow is held so solidly.

George
St Paul, TX

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:03:26 pm »
haha thats what I have to do....strap the end...I aint throwing the towel in...obviously there is reward under all those "licks"

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 04:22:19 pm »
after about 4 or 5 thousand staves, you'll get the hang of it.  ;)Takes me under 10 mins on most staves nowadays,but that is with green wood. dry wood is tougher, mainly just getting down past the sapwood. that is why all my staves get the clothes yanked off asap.

a good drawknife with just the right bevel is key. Saving sharp for green wood, not so much on dry.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 05:07:17 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 05:19:27 pm »
   Chasing rings gets easier and faster. I sometimes buy bords that are straight enough to chase rings on and turn them into staves. Anywhere from 10 min to an hour but seldom any more than that once you get your tecnique down.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:08:36 pm »
Quit whining and go make some shavings.   ;D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis