Author Topic: I started breaking some rock tonight-First question  (Read 1761 times)

Offline osage outlaw

I started breaking some rock tonight-First question
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:46:58 pm »
I finally got a chance to sit down and start learning how to knap.  I started with a piece of flint that I picked up from the floor of the knapping pit at the Classic.  I am saving the stuff I bought from Leapingbare until I get a little better.  I used a small hammer stone and started making some flakes.  I didn't end up with anything, but I think I was starting to figure it out.  Sometimes I would try to imagine where the flake would come off at and when I hit it, it was just how I had thought.  And other times, I would hit it and nothing would happen, or it would stop halfway where I wanted it to go.  I am trying to get some tools together.  I picked up 3 copper pipe caps, 1/2, 3/4, and 1".  I got them rounded out and tomorrow I am melting some led in them.  I have some hickory for the handles.  I want to make an ishi stick also.  I watched some of Jack Crafty's videos at work last night.  WOW.  Thanks JustinNC for giving me some tips at the Classic. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:10:29 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tower

Re: I started breaking some rock tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:05:57 am »
Knap-on it's the only way you learn the trade.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
Clint that's what it takes, breaking rock.

I don't know much, but I do know I have improved in what little I've knapped since I got home. At least my stuff is thin enough to break now lol.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:54:13 am »
That reminds me of years ago when I was sitting in the back of the crew truck at a hotel in Leredo chippin rock. People were walking by staring or actually stopping to ask what the hell I was doing ;D. Keep on breaking those rocks, you'll learn it just like everybody else..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:44:33 pm »
I've been trying to save my better rock for later, but I've got to tell you that it's harder to get lower quality rock to do what you want. I think it's all right to figure out platforms and support on, but it's hard to get a point out of poorer quality rock when you are just starting out. It can get frustrating.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 01:15:19 am »
Clint, you got some Texas rock headed your way real soon ;)

I expect to see points as soon ad I saw em from Ken75 :o
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:30:58 pm »
Is there only certain rock that you heat or can you heat all of it. If heated, what temp? I have Flint, Red Jasper, and Mahogany.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: I started breaking some rock tonight-First question
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:07 am »
I can't wait to start busting that Texas rock.  Thanks again.

I got to work on some copper boppers.  I rounded the caps out and filled them halfway with lead then used epoxy to glue the 1/2" cap onto the hickory handle.  This is what I ended up with.  Does it look like it will work?  I wanted to check before I did the 3/4" and the 1" caps.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:55:52 pm »
Ooooohh, that's a little small. Clint, I've actually learned more by destroying good rock. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »
clint,

Here is what you have coming.. It's in the mail.. Box weighs 50 lbs and 3 oz.... 

The big rock is a pretty color with peach colored middle.. Have fun :D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.