Author Topic: Latest point, working on serrations  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Latest point, working on serrations
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:47:36 pm »
I've been breaking some rock lately with nothing to show but practice setting up platforms and angles and stuff. Not really trying to get anything made just figuring out how to get it done. This was a small flake of some kind of chert I found while turkey hunting. It's different. Doesnt really make any kind of ridge when you flake it, it just seems to spread out and fade away. This had some good edge to edge flaking but you cant see it?????  Don't know why that is. Any way I am happy with it I think. Just trying to find some good material here that isn't cracked and fractured all to bits. Chert is everywhere but finding useable stuff is a little hard. I have a lot of turtle backs to practice on though!
Mark

p.s. I think I've seen points like this but I have no Idea what they are called?
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Latest point, working on serrations
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:36:40 pm »
 8) Cool!  If you put a ruler next to the point and then take a picture it might be easier to tell you what point type it looks like...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »
looks like you are getting the idea..! great job! 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »
Thanks guys. From the back of the wing to the tip it is just under 2".
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:23:37 pm »
You know, I like looking at these stone points more than brilliantly cut gemstones! 

That's a nice looking point, no reason it wouldn't abbreviate a deer's lifestan as it is!  The leather background really helps to pick out the cutting edge details, nice work with the photography.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »
Great looking point! I swear it looks like novaculite....but raw it's pretty tough stuff aint it?Grind the bottom third and call it a dalton! ;D j/k

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:50:27 pm »
Looks good to use. Practice,practice,& more practice. Thats how you get them longer,wider,& thinner.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:15 pm »
That is a good looking point that looks like it would be death to a critter.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »
cool point looks like novaculite to me also .
bryan irwin

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »
I'll third that one - looks like novac to me too. And yep, tie it on an arra and it's a killer for sure. Nice work!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »
It may be novaculite.  I really don't know what kinds of rock we have here in MO. It is raw. It's slightly translucent. Wish I could find more like it.
Thanks for the comments guys. This one for sure will find it's way to the end of a stick!!!
Mark

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:14:25 pm »
If yor in MO its some form of burlington chert. I dont know all the sub types but if its anything like the pt payn formaction here in TN then it probably comes many ways.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline xin

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 12:00:30 am »
Resembles the Cactus Hill  Va point that is claimed to be Selutrian and has everyone so excited.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »
Dude that looks great!  your getting really good at this.We need to find some better stuff and get together ;D