Author Topic: Some helical fletched arrows  (Read 2130 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Some helical fletched arrows
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:21:13 pm »
Just made these arrows to shoot of my bow. theyre poplar shafts that I tapered at the end. I think theyre spined 60-65 and are 3/8 at the center. They all weigh from 528 grains-538 grains, so theyre within 10 grain. The field points are 5/16 points 125 grains. Wild turkey fletchings and helical fletching. One of them I removed the helix because it was fishtailing so had to fix it and just decided to do a straight fletch. I took em out to the opening of the local archery range and shot them, they shoot very well :D

CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

HatchA

Re: Some helical fletched arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
Nice work!!

A question on the "fishtailing"...  What side wing feathers did you use - left or right?  And what side helical jig - left or right?  If you use left wing feathers on a right helical jig, would that have a negative effect on arrow stability?

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:59:50 pm »
Hi Hatch
Forgot to mentioned these were done by hand no jigs, so that might have been the reason it wasnt fletched correctly. Another possibility is that one of the feathers was not cut properly hence I placed it wrongly. Thanks for the comment.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:34:55 pm »
No worries man, plenty more people here with way more knowledge than me about this :)  they'll chime in soon enough ;)

And helical fletch by hand....?   You just don't like the easy road, do you? ;D

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:47:47 pm »
LOL I thought the easy road was by hand  ??? lol but yea I have never used a jig and probably wont in the future because it requires glue.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:27:23 am »
I usually put in 90 deg of twist with two fleather fletching...and I haven't used my JoJan in quite a while.  ;)  I have used more twist but it increased he noise factor.  I really dont think rustling feathers to be a problem. That sound is pretty common in nature but psycologically speaking the quieter the better!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC