Author Topic: My First Primitive Arrow  (Read 4032 times)

Offline gstoneberg

My First Primitive Arrow
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:09:51 pm »
I tried my hand at a primitive arrow this morning.  I have it pretty much done except for hafting a head on it.  I'm not even sure what kind of wood it is, I traded with Crooketarrow for the shoots.  I'll post a before and after scraping picture and maybe he (or one of you) can ID it for me.

It was my first try at a self nock and putting feathers on with sinew.  These are turkey secondaries form birds I raised in Nebraska.

It looks crooked here, but I don't think it is? ???

The hole in the center of the shoot fit a 125 grain screw-in point so that was pressed into service so I could take a shot.  First try was right on the money, hope I can do that when the target is a hog.  The feathers are a little noisy, but it flies good.

Let me know what I should do differently, I'm new at this.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Polar Bear

Re: My First Primitive Arrow
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:22:02 pm »
Don't know the type of wood.  Arrow looks good.  You might try trimming the feathers a little at a time until they are quiet.  The bigger the feather the nosier they are.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »
Looks like you ar on the path to being verticly integrated in the primitive hunting :o

I bet you can bag some baccon with that arrow
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »
I hope so C.  I hope we get into them next weekend.  Now that I have a trade point hafted, the front end looks like this:

Thanks Darcy, for that chunk of band saw blade and the directions.  I need to get some pine sap from my east Texas friends and make some pine pitch, that hot melt glue just doesn't look right.  Need to add more.  I trimmed up the feathers too, should be quieter now.  Need a broadhead target now.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:59 pm »
Did you make that point? Looks deadly!! Yea me too.. Hope we see some.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:34:35 pm »
Yea, Darcy sent me instructions.  Here's the blade I cut it from:

You can see I had a little trouble laying out the angles. ;D  Gotta love high speed cutters. ;)  I'll say one thing, next time I'm giving the heads their first sharpening before I haft them.  Grinding the edge kept loosening the hot melt glue. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 01:07:06 am »
George, I think that arrow looks good. I also can't remember when I hog went "uh, oh, what's that noise". Most of my shots I could have been shooting a baseball bat I was so close.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:34 am »
George you did a nice job with your first primitive arrow. If you can hit a pig like you hit your target bag you will have no problems.
  The shoots look like one viburnum and a red osier. I'm pretty sure Crooketarrow uses both and both make very good arrows.
  You'll like the pitch glue much better than what you're using. You will be able to fine tune broadheads and refasten a broadhead that has been jared loose with a little heat added to the point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:39:45 am »
Thanks guys.  I'm for sure a novice, but it seems to shoot well so I'm pleased.  Thanks for the ID Pat, Crooketarrow told me what they were when he sent them but I didn't keep track.   I had a rose shoot all ready to finish and then tried to take out a little bend where the feathers would be and broke it. ???   I used to shoot better, but living in town has really put a crimp on my practice.  I was lucky, but thanks.

Eddie, our hogs aren't in such heavy cover so the pucker factor isn't so bad.  They do get more brazen at night but then it's hard to bow shoot them.   I've been meaning to PM you, my Dad lives in Lakeland.  Hope to visit him later this year, might call and say hey when I'm there.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 02:48:51 am »
Well, I'll be. I really hope you do call when you visit your Dad.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DEllis

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 03:04:53 am »
That point looks like a killer for sure........looks to be a few more in that chunk of steel ;D
I think some Texas hog is going to be off the range and onto the grill ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:20:32 am »
Darcy, thanks for the help, that is some hard steel.  Of course, you already know that. ;D   I hope you're right on the pig, I've been known to miss them with abandon. ::)   I picked up a new ground blind that's extra tall so my longbow won't hit the ceiling.  That'll let me move around to keep the wind in my favor (and keep the bugs off me).

Will do Eddie, small world.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »
i was gonna say viburnum too.  or some of the stuff i used to use around here locally.  i dont know how to make shoot shafts anymore, darn cane got my attention!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.