Author Topic: Shortbow builders  (Read 110068 times)

Offline fusizoli

Re: Shortbow builders
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:27 am »
That drawlenght is impressive  :o
 Great work on both!

Offline half eye

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2011, 10:41:21 am »
Fusizoli,
       Hey man, that little ash gull-wing you posted is a whole lot better done than mine.....that's an incredible bow, sir!!!
rich

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:31 am »
Oh Rich I'm really glad U like it!  8)

Your bows are inspirational! Those bends and low set amaze me time to time, just like the finish work!

May this 21 is bit short, it could be 23 with less # but like to make it as strong as this ash could handle with some character. The next will be deflexed handle with reflexed tips. Ash like that.

Thanks Master!  :)

Offline Frode

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:03 am »
I got nothin, but every time I'm away for a few days, you guys go and pull out all the stops!  What an impressive lot this is!  I'm inspired constantly by the level of skill and craftsmanship I see here!  Now I gots to go find my favorite shave... ;D
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline johnston

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 01:19:03 am »
I have truly enjoyed this thread. Ken makes beautiful bows prolifically and is kind enough to post them. fusizoli has a true gift but at the top as always 'ol Rich just takes a look at the rest then builds the best.
That little elm just makes me weep...'scuse me fellers..need a tissue.

Lane

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:37 am »
lane i have to agree he takes an idea and doesnt except the limits the rest of us work by. i think i have come this far because of the conversations and help ive gotten from Rich

once again great bows posted great results from many different woods and i hope to post some soon ...keep em coming guys lets push these things !

blackhawk

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 09:20:01 am »
I got one in the works. I picked up a waste cut of Osage 30.5" long n chased the ring on it the other night. Im gonna try to push it out to at least a 20" draw n maybe another inch or two if I can squeeze that out of it. We'll see what happens????    >:D

Sorry I know it doesn't adhere to your draw rule but its still pushing the limits. Fun thread

Offline half eye

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 10:36:27 am »
Blackhawk,
     Judgin by the bow you posted up I cant wait to see this latest one..........anybody that gets 20" out of 30" bows belongs in this category no matter what anyone says.  A lot of the Algonquian and Cree arrows only had 19" of drawable shaft FYI so 20" from a 30" is a limit pusher in every sense of the word.....cant wiat to see the little bugger !!!!
rich

Offline Kegan

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »
What are the requirements for a "shortbow" as it pertains to this thread? Seems like there's some amazing building going on here either way :)!

blackhawk

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »
I think I got the secret recipe figured out Rich...let's see what happens.    ::)

I think a good definition wood be a bow that draws at least half its length(and then some) and above 40lbs. But this is Kens thread and ill let him determine or redefine the parameters.

blackhawk

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 11:08:30 pm »
Sneak peak ....im brewing up a lil Osage microstorm here in good ol western Pa  >:D

Roughed her belly down and got her down to beggining of knee tiller stage. Ill get her bending some more before I make my "moves" on her.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:12:26 pm by blackhawk »

Offline half eye

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2011, 12:07:06 am »
Teasing aint nice...by the way, what's your "knee-launch" record, mines just shy of ten yards but to be fair it did bounce off my head first, luckily the bow didn't get hurt hardly at all ;D
rich

Offline ken75

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:18 am »
Kegan i started this with the idea of full draw being 27 to 28 inches mainly because i knew that way the wood wasnt being babied . however when we start building 39 inch bows i think full draw can be considerately less and still follow the same idea. so if the draw is half the length then i think its cool.... hell ya'll just build short ones and yank em back and lets see what happens. ;D

Blackhawk you get 20 inches outta that yella wood and you can post it here , lookin forward to seeing and hearing what it can do

we got ash, elm, hickory , yew , osage , i think thats all right now , im lookin to see some more wood types, like white oak ,red oak, maybe some hackberry, or locust 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:39:36 am by ken75 »

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2011, 01:45:18 am »
You guys amaze me with those midget bows.  I can't tiller them for crap, but I love those shorties.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline ken75

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:03 am »
come on big John stretch one back for us  >:D

have to add oak to the list i went back and ScottD has a beautiful shorty that is shingle oak , i assume white oak ?