Author Topic: Shortbow builders  (Read 110022 times)

Offline billy bowmaker

Re: Shortbow builders
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 09:42:48 pm »

billy would you like me to pull it with a tape measure as well ?

just sayin, just sayin

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 11:22:44 pm »
 Ken. We've all seen the bows you make with the drawlenghts and weights in alot of previous posts. I really don't think a tape is needed ;).. NOW you gonna make me try another shorty >:( :D I'll be putting the final coat on my trade bow in the AM. So it looks like I'll be going for a 47" white oak. Do I have to get 27" or can I use my 26" draw length?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 11:54:19 pm »
I am very interested in this because I like short bows and I have a 30" draw.  Thanks for the info form everybody.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 01:18:54 am »
Good thread! Well I've been trying to make some short bows for some time now. I got a few to work out, thanks to that short Michigan dude, I think you just got a new nick name Rich ;). Anyway, I just wanted to share my problems I still come across with shorties and trying to get to full draw...27" for me. I always end up with less draw weight than what I hoped for, and always have a great deal of set. Now I'm not to overly concerned with set, I understand it takes away performance, but if I can kill critters with it, then I'm happy. So, I got over the set problem...but I still need to figure out how to bend a short stick that far and keep 50-55# range. I will say this, I'm having lots of fun trying to figure it out. ;D Anybody else having the same issues?
Rockford, MI

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 01:25:30 am »
i know these have been seen but they are good examples of what hickory can do, and how flippin tips can reduce stack , making it a good design choice .first one was recent 54 inches tip to tip and the second one was a while back also 54 inches tip to tip with statics.both are 1 3/4 wide near grip and have been trapped , adequate width and trappin being crucial to equal hickories forces

Offline thomas h

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 01:31:49 am »
that is a really nice bow  love the looks

Offline ken75

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 01:32:29 am »
Dave its easier to miss weight on these just slow down final tiller and take extra time .

i guess now we are gonna have to build some more and go sub50 inch on a few

thanks to all who have posted bows Ryan ,Rich, Scott , Straightarrow ,Johnk, lets keep this going

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:28 am »
Excellent thread and great pics of some fantastic bows.  When you guys are referring to Hickory are you using staves or boards?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline half eye

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 10:37:59 am »
Seems to be a few in the 50 to 54 inch range so here's one in that size.....

Eastern Ojibwe, self bow of ash, 53" and weighs 55#@ 28", scalloped up one side 1-1/4" wide at the grip (1-1/2" to the scallop points) and tapers on one side to 5/8" tips....straight grained, vertical grain, board. Will post a couple more later that are Ken 75 Hickory.... after I get the pics took.
rich

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:27 pm »
Great thread... Ken you must have read about the bumble bee as a kid, or maybe your folks and a teacher or two told you to put your mind to it and you would be able to accomlish your task. Allegedly, and acording to scientist the bumble bee should not be able to fly.. A natural defect in design... Too short wings to support such a big body... But as we all know-- bumble bees fly...
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 10:04:15 pm »
hmmm, and here all along I just thought they "bumbled" along  >:D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline half eye

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »
Here are a couple of Ken 75 shorties....red/black is 52" ntn and the black mollegabet is 51" both are hickory self bows both bows will draw 28" but I only manage 27" (26" is my normal)  The red/black arrived from ken somewheres around 70# and I could hardly string the beast so it got retillered and scallops cut in and after a lot of work I got the monster down to 61# @ 26" the little black molle is 60# at 27" and may need a slight re-tiller as well.
     here's the pics.
rich

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:53 pm »
Lee they do that too  :D

Rich are those Texas Skins on that bow? I will have to post my Ken75 shorties on here too.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline ken75

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »
Lee my hickory is 1/4 sawn from trees here on my place so yes boards for me

Rich thats my first look at the red bow since you scalloped it , guess i should send some more up there for some body work  >:D
the black one still has a hell of a nice full draw

CP those are Arizona skins from Nate on the molly

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 11:54:12 pm »
Thanks for the info Ken, I'm not very up to speed on dimensional lumber so it's something I need to do some reading up on.  I had a guy offer me some Hickory slabs that were cut off some larger logs/trees.  Not sure what "boards" like that would be called but he offered me a bunch...some walnut and oak as well so I figured maybe I'd check them out.  Worst case is maybe they'd make ok backs for a Lam build?

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold