Author Topic: Shortbow builders  (Read 109848 times)

Offline fusizoli

Re: Shortbow builders
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2011, 03:17:09 pm »

Fuszioli, dang dude ya got almost 23" draw out of a self bow that should only draw 20" tops.....(if it was backed) I think that little bow rocks.......
rich

Yes Rich and if I haven't seen your bows I newer like to try this 25. But now I have to  ;)
I ve broken just 2-3 bows from 40 yet, so have to strech the limits and learn things. Self shortbows are good learning pieces shure.

Thank you guys the nice compliments!

The bow painted with green earth, yellow and red ochre and carbon black as the other too.

That little osage is 100% ok! Just put few sinew wrapping on it (not too much) and some glue or superglue in the crack than shoot it :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:25:01 pm by fusizoli »

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2011, 01:08:12 pm »
Just a pic to update this topic  :)

Full draw from the latest two, tomorow.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2011, 01:28:57 pm »
Those are awesome Zoltan, love the paterns in paint
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:51 pm »
Zoltan, how on earth do you folks crank out these gorgeous bows at such amazing speed?  I understand I am a beginner and that there are certainly steps and pieces of my process that will evolve and change but it really seems that some folks on here start/complete a bow a day...

Looking forward to the full draw pics.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2011, 02:39:18 pm »
Flat, bendy handle bows can easily be made in a day Lee, providing they dont need any heating up. Some day you will have to shoot over to my place and we can whip a bendy handle hackberry bow out in a day for you, we can even flip the tips a pinch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2011, 02:40:40 pm »
Lee!

I could start this bows from dry wood. If U know the process and made few bows, the size going into your hand so not need to mesure. Most of the sticks start to bend as U want  ;)

It is just looking a day but from this "character" staves needs more time as useall.
Newer mesured the exact time, but it needs more then a week if every day make some work on tham.
I'm working on 3-4 bows at the same time and the other 4 is waiting for tiller.
Sometimes really dont know how to reduce this flow  ::)
I'm a professional paint restorer and start to making bows as a passion near 3 years ago.
Now my studio is full of bows and paintings equally and my clients start to going mad.  :-\
I think I'm a maniac bowyer ;D

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2011, 02:46:51 pm »
Agree with Pearl!

This bows was heat corrected and heat treated so it takes time.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2011, 05:44:43 pm »
Flat, bendy handle bows can easily be made in a day Lee, providing they dont need any heating up. Some day you will have to shoot over to my place and we can whip a bendy handle hackberry bow out in a day for you, we can even flip the tips a pinch.

That would be great PD (what ya got going this Friday?  >:D)

I guess since I am starting from mostly uncured Osage and having to steam, bend, heat, etc I was feeling that they were a bit longer of a process.  I can see where knowing what you are doing + starting with dry staves would make a huge difference.

I know this is an unbacked "Shortbow builders" thread but I just got coat #3 of Tru-oil on my "resurrected" Hick/ERC.  She is 37" ttt and 35 1/2" ntn...pulls 35# @ 18"  ;D

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:11 pm »
Zoltan, I understand better now...combine an Artist with his passion and something just has to be produced!  I'd say keep your Art customers waiting from time to time since we all need our "fix" and do so enjoy seeing your work.  Your background in pigments, binders and such must really come in handy on some of your bow projects.  Very cool vocation.

Thanks for the kind reply~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline johnston

« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2011, 07:20:43 pm »
Man this has been some kinda good ;D. Zoltan, sir , you create art with every bow you make. A real treat to see your work.

Lee I am in complete agreement. A simple bow can easily take me a week if it all goes right. Two if it goes normal.

Pearl you ain't but a couple three hours from here... :)

Lane

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2011, 12:44:31 am »
Gonna make a short bow from hickory, gonna try to reflex the tips  :) never tried that before
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2011, 07:19:07 am »
Thanks the nice compliment Lane.

Young man U will like it shure ;) This is a good way to learn more.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:26 am »

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:45:38 am by fusizoli »

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:55 am »

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:38 am »
Nice, those look great!  I really like the look of those bow backs.  I was so sure I would break mine that I didn't even think about a finish.  May have to now.

George
St Paul, TX