Author Topic: broke a record the other day  (Read 2831 times)

Offline nick:uk

broke a record the other day
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:57:51 pm »
about three days ago i was in my bedroom i had noticed my war/longbow had taken a bit of set so i strung it up and started to draw it then i heard a click so i stopped and looked up and down the bow and saw nothing wrong so i started to draw bow and the same click sound so i looked at it again nothing so i went to bring it to full draw THUD!! i was on the floor everything was blurry the bow was the other side of the room i still had the string in my hand LOL the bottom loop had split right in the middle
the stupidest thing i've ever done :(

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: broke a record the other day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:21 am »
So what's the new record?

Hope you didn't get hurt too bad.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:12:10 am »
Glad you are ok.  Sounds like the bow is still around too.  If that is the stupidest thing you have done ever, well then you area heck of a lot smarter than me!!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline nick:uk

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:26:52 am »
knocking myself out with one punch was my new record :o
thank you i'm fine :D just shocking is all :D
yer the bow is fine it will rove again ;D
what's the stupidest thing you've ever done contest?  :laugh:

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:13 am »
Yeah I was nearly knocked out by an exploding bow myself... No bueno.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:14:26 am »
I've yet to get hit in the face by an exploding bow but I've been hit in the chest a couple times
I like osage

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:00:53 am »
Yep it may take a second or two but to check your equipment before shooting is a wise thing to do.I've seen fellas string their bow to shoot and I notice one side of a loop of the string is'nt on all the way.I'm sure everyone knows this but I put a questionable bow on the tillering tree and pull it to full draw quite a few times before shooting it.I gotta have it very quiet in my shed while doing this.No radio going etc.Even then I feel a little leary shooting it.
The other night I was at a shooting range and a fella was shooting a 33 year old osage self bow.Pyramid type profile about 50#@28".It broke right at the handle at full draw.Limbs were fine.It was a billeted bow.I thought it was a bit odd.I know the fella who was shooting it and I know he has shot many a critter with it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:47:47 am »
What was the ticking sound? I'd examine that bow very well. Lightly rub it with a cotton ball. If there is a splinter it will grab the cotton. So instead of breaking another record and your head again check out the bow very well. Just the fact of having the string break can be fatal to a bow, wood or fibergalss.
  And why did the string break? Are the nock edges sharp or did you round them before stringing the bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »
i am with Pat on this one.check out the bow.i never had a string make a clicking sound.
Middletown,Ohio