Author Topic: Anyone ever use McKenzie tan oil?  (Read 6285 times)

HatchA

Anyone ever use McKenzie tan oil?
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:32:52 pm »
I know people here tend to use brains for tanning but as I'd mainly like to tan hair-on hides and the animal heads are disposed of in a controlled manner in Ireland, I figured I'd try looking for some chemical that's handy to use.

I'm looking at all the stuff they sell on Van Dyke's website though I think the only thing I'll actually need would be the tanning chemical and maybe the leather oil (unless I'm able to buy Neatsfoot oil and get it shipped to Ireland too?).

I'm just wondering if anyone here has physical experience of using these things, or knows someone that does?

Thanks,

Steve.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Anyone ever use McKenzie tan oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:04:54 pm »
Van Dykes is based here in South Dakota where I live.  Other than that, I got nothing for you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kentb

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »
I have used most of the tans on the market, and most work very well for taxidermy. But if you are looking for a hide that is soft you will be money ahead to send them to a tannery. Home tans will dry hard, even with tanning oils applied. You can break the hide after tanning to make it soft but that is a lot of work. If you have questions just send me a PM and I will help in any way I can.
Kent B

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:51:02 am »
Thanks guys.

After posting, I looked deeper into the shipping rules on Van Dyke's and, as the chemical is a hazardous material, they don't ship internationally :(

Kent - thanks for your advice but as I'm in Ireland, there isn't much call for tannerys any more.  In fact, I worked with a couple of guys that used to work in one, before it was closed down some years back.

I might try locating taxidermists - if there ARE any in this Godforsaken Hell-hole of a sh!ttrap.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:27:58 am »
You can do a salt alum tan yourself and all the chemicals would be easily found...vinegar salt, baking soda, borax (a type of laundry detergent), and aluminum sulfate (usually called alum and you can get it at pickling supply stores- it is added to cucumbers when making pickles to make them crunch).  I did a tan-a-long with the salt alum method and if you work the hide good, it can come out very soft.  PM me with any questions and good luck.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:42:59 pm »
Thanks Hobow but as I touched on earlier - this being Ireland, there's not much call for the likes of "pickling supply stores".

I did, however, look on the Irish golden pages for taxidermists and have found a few that are withing travelling distance for me so I'll make calls over the coming days and see what I can find out.

Also...  in slightly gooder news...  I've found a company in Scotland that sells tanning & taxidermy supplies and they DO ship to Ireland!!!   *pause for cheers*

So at the very least, I'll be able to buy in some chemicals and do some "proper" experimenting myself.   *pause for more cheers*

Thanks for all the offers for help, guys - I'm sure I'll be PMing at some stage ;)