Author Topic: Laburnum Take down (or not?)  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Stefan

Laburnum Take down (or not?)
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:15:49 am »
Hi all Primitive Archers,

Lately I have been working on a laburnum take down longbow. For the take down kit I am using stainless piping. I could really use some help on this one. The bow is 74'' long, i am shooting for 45#/50# @ 27 inches. I haven't started floor tillering.

Sizes in MM of the sleeves:
Long sleeve outside diameter 35mm
Long sleeve inside diameter 31mm
Short sleeve outside diameter 30mm (little bit of filling needed to fit exactly in the larger sleeve)
Short sleeve inside diameter 26mm

Sizes in inches of the sleeves;
(I don’t work with inches, this is just what me digital calliper measures in inches)
Long sleeve outside diameter1.3879
Long sleeve inside diameter 1.2
Short sleeve outside diameter 1.188 (little bit of filling needed to fit exactly in the larger sleeve)  
Short sleeve inside diameter 1.02

I have fitted both pieces to the large diameter sleeve (to make sure they are lined up correctly). Should I just glue in both pieces in the larger sleeve and make into a one piece bow?

I am worried that if I use the smaller sleeve on one end, the little amount of wood on that end might cause it to break off.

What would you do? Make it into a one piece (less risk of breaking during tillering?) or just make it into a two piece take down?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Stefan

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Laburnum Take down (or not?)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:36:43 am »
I fi t were me, I wouldn't risk the smaller sleeve, I'd be tempted to get a piece of steel machined which would be a correct fit over the big sleeve at one end and the same I.D as the big sleeve at the other so that your existing limb size will fit into it.
I think if you cut the limbs any smaller they will be likely to break.
That's jus my gut feeling.
Of course you need to find a local guy with a lathe and some steel...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:53:39 am »
Thanks for the response Del,

I do have acces to a lathe, I might get a another sleeve to replace the smaller smaller sleeve, I can turn it down to fit precisly in the bigger sleeve. I will fit better and there will be more room for wood left in the sleeve due to thinner walls (1mm), 25mm left over inside

I dont really want to go over the bigger sleeve.

Still risky? could use some more opinions

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:22:28 pm »
I think you could use a piece of the large size tube on each billet end, and then join them with a piece of the small size tube . hope that makes sense to you!
Have fun !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »
Looks like a fun project. I've never made a take down, but This makes me interested in starting one. Keep us posted, and thanks for sharing.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Gaur

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »
I've been working on a yew take down.  I do quite a few take downs.  I've gone to using horn overlays where the wood enters the sleeves to protect the wood backing.  Maybe not so much a problem with sap wood you have there or with yew but I did have a big failure with bamboo where it entered the sleeves.   I use 1 1/4" stainless steel tubing which is quite thin less than 2 mm and then have a machine shop spin me a 2 mm thick brass insert.  I then take them and put them in a large vice while joined and squeeze them to make a oval shape to fit my hand better and not allow the tubes to spin.  For using metal and metal you might have some problems with them binding.  I think that is why they use steel and brass.  Adding a little wax helps keep them from binding.  Its pretty amazing how little wood you can get away with in the sleeve.  I think you'll be fine even with the smaller piece.   one thing you could do if you have access to a metal lathe is to reduce the wall thickness of the inside of the smaller sleeve and that would give you a bit more wood.  You wall thickness seem more than what is needed.

Here are a few pictures of my project.

this last picture you can see the horn inside the tube.  I like how it protects the backing of the yew.   

Now I just need to get the tips done and get it tillered and shooting!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:55:57 pm by Gaur »
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:25:34 am »
I think you could use a piece of the large size tube on each billet end, and then join them with a piece of the small size tube . hope that makes sense to you!
Have fun !!
Yeah, that's the sort of effect I was thinking of, but I couldn't express it so succinctly.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:26:54 am »
Gaur,

Your take down looks good! This morning I glued both pieces of laburnum in the bigger sleeve, I have some laburnum left te make a take down. This bow is my first longbow, first time to use laburnum, and first time making a bow out of two pieces. I will be very happy with a one piece longbow that actually shoots!

Like the idea of using horn, and using brass and steel. I do have acces to a lathe so my next one is going to be a takedown. I also like the idea of putting it in a vice to get the oval shape.

Thanks for the info,

I will keep you posted

stefan

Leonardo

Offline Gaur

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 01:39:47 pm »
Cool hope your first bow turns out well.  That laburnum looks a lot like yew and makes a nice looking bow.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Stefan

Tiller Help Please
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »
Hi All,

Have been working on my Laburnum longbow, now a one piece. Could use some help tillering!

Recently bought a concave scraper set, I recommend it to everyone. See the pics,

Please let my know where to remove some wood,

Stefan
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:13:09 pm by Stefan »

Leonardo

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 05:50:08 am »
I was going to say that looks like enough laburnum to me, I dont think it would break off! But hey the one piece looks good too. Laburnum is a great bow wood.

Nathan

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:41:12 pm »
Hi Nathan,

Your bow was the inspiration for mine, my next will be a take down, I still have some laburnum left,

Hope it will be as beautifiul as yours,

stefam

Leonardo

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:07:23 pm »
Stefan, good looking bow!  Those scrapers look great, how hard are they to re-sharpen?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~