Author Topic: Limb edges  (Read 2217 times)

HatchA

Limb edges
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:17:30 pm »
When finishing a bow, how many guys here like to leave the edges of the limbs "fairly square"?  I'm not talking sharp-cornered but definitely not "rounded off" all along the length? 

I suppose I'm asking if leaving a bow with the definition of "flat bow" is ok to do, or is it looking for trouble?

I'll grab a pic or three and post 'em up in a sec.

Offline bubby

Re: Limb edges
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »
if ya look at some of the old native bows they are rectangular in crossection, so as long as ya radius the belly like the back ya should be o.k., jmo, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »
if ya look at some of the old native bows they are rectangular in crossection, so as long as ya radius the belly like the back ya should be o.k., jmo, Bub

That's true, thanks Bub.

The pic's didn't turn out worth a crap and I took 'em with the best camera in the house (ironically - my phone!).  Suffice to say I ain't gonna try take more cos all I'm doing is annoying myself at this stage  :(

I'll likely leave the limbs as they are but narrow the tips some more.  well...  I'll at least shape them a bit.

or maybe not  :-\

oh the choices... ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »
I leave almost all mine squared off, but sanded smooth. I personally feel it adds to the life of the bow with the tension and compression spread out evenly. Just a preference of mine, especially with the white woods I tend to use most.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:11:25 pm »
I round the edges enough so that they will not lift a splinter. Rounding them puts much less stress on them. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:55:51 am »
I also round them a bit but not overly round... I learned on one of my earlier bows that a splinter can lift. I take the edge off with a rasp...sand...then burnish

Jon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:25:14 am »
I don't care for the look of square edges. And sharp edges don't hold a finish as well as rounded.
Gordon

HatchA

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
Thanks guys