Author Topic: Honey locust anyone  (Read 5070 times)

sagitarius boemoru

Honey locust anyone
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:48:30 pm »
I have just came around a huge board of honey locust. How is it as bow wood? Is it worth of buying or not?

Thank you all..

Jaro

duffontap

Re: Honey locust anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:47:23 pm »
Locust tends toward low compression strength.  I hear it makes good D-bows.  I'm getting a lot of Black Locust next week.  I'm looking forward to working with that. 

J. D. Duff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 06:49:49 pm »
   Honey Locust isn't as good as black Locust so I've been told
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 07:05:21 pm »
Honey Locust is Gleditisia triacanthos. Black Locust is Robina pseudoacacia.  Both are legumes. My Audubon Field guide doesn't give much information about the wood.  I have used BL with marginal success but Jawge loves it and has made many bows with it. I believe HL would be considered a marginal bow wood but that is just a guess.  I have seen nice bows made from it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:13:12 pm »
Thank you Eddie, thank you Pat. This is a board I discovered at carpenters place, its huge, from a tree cut in the park as honey locust does not grows here in wild.

On the other hand everything is infested with black locust, which grows everywhere and is also cheap to buy in boards...

Jaro

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:09:44 pm »
Honey locust is not as strong as black locust. I would make it a little wider and longer. Honey locust is less dense. I have been told to go with the black varieties.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!