Author Topic: Black locust growth rings  (Read 5387 times)

Offline episaacs

Black locust growth rings
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:51:21 pm »
I've not worked with black locust before.  The tree I cut this AM seems to have 2 different types of ring structure; The larger rings are 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide, and there are 2 light (sapwood) rings and several dark (heartwood) rings.  These have a crunchy layer between them, ala osage. Within the larger rings are about 10-12 smaller diameter rings that are nearly impossible to follow, and don't have the crunchy layer (winter growth?).  Please tell the the larger rings are the ones to chase ???

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Black locust growth rings
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:35:03 pm »
I didn't fallow that very well.  I'm kind of slow, how about some pictures.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 06:54:15 pm »
I think you are seeing the lunar rings inside the annual rings. The annual rings are what you want for a back ring(lunar rings are included). It is the crunchy early ring that you don't want shining through the back. A little of it on top is no problem.   1/2" rings are a bit big. 3/8" is good.   I find BL to work very similar to osage but you should  to add 10% to the width and length with BL for a similar osage bow.
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline episaacs

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 07:01:39 pm »
Here is a pic sans the sapwood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:34 pm »
Those are lunar rings. They are laid down monthly during the growing season. The annual rings are as big as I've seen with BL.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline episaacs

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:12:03 pm »
Yeah, they're huge!  Thanks Pat.  Need some ERC?  I'll swap for some sourwood shoots ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:14:41 pm »
send me a PM ;)     Pat