Author Topic: cherry bark backing question  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Blacktail

cherry bark backing question
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »
i seen joe did a build along fairly simple...BUT,i have a few questions...i only have short peices in 4" lengths will this work...and the bark that i have is curled up..so,could i soak them for a few minutes and take a paper towel to dry out and then apply the bark with it still being damp...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: cherry bark backing question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:57:09 pm »
You could use the 4" pieces but its not going to have the same benefits as longer pieces would and its going to be hard to get the but ends to mach up good enough to not be seen, if your doing it for a camo affect it should be fine. Also you have more potential for them to come loose at the but ends if your doing any brush diving. If I cant get a piece to fit the whole limb I will usually wrap it with serving at the joint near the tips.

Yes you can soak it till its more pliable wipe dry and use them. I would probably just try to find longer pieces. If you cant do that and you are set on backing a bow with cherry bark I will be going to the cherry tree grave yard toward the end of this month to get some more and I could send you some longer strips. If you want them just send me a reminder PM after the 22 of this month with your address. This is what the bark looks like once its sanded down and with no finish yet, Patb had mentioned he will sometimes leave the bark as is when it comes off the tree for a nice camo affect, I want to try this. ;D the pieces in the pic are 26" long and if I wouldnt have let so much ly in the handle I could have covered more of the limb but I am going to over lay the tips and just leave the rest of the wood at the tips as is.  Hope this helps

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)