Author Topic: What are the best feathers off a turkey to use for arrow fletching?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

A friend gave me some turkey wings to get some feathers for arrows. He is likely to get another one this week. Are tail feathers better for fletching? Also what is the best way to remove the feathers? Any thing I should watch for? I'm interested in using these for two feather fletching. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Offline JEB

To answer your question. the wing primaries are the best, secondary wings next and then tail feathers.

Offline osage outlaw

I use wire cutters to snip the feather off near the base.  That is easier than pulling them out.  Keep the right wing and left wing feathers separate.  Don't mix the two on the same arrow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline okiecountryboy

Is that for shootin around corners? ;D ::) ;D

Sorry couldn't resist..........

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Any feathers over 4" long will make good fletching in one style or another.  I use side cutters to cut the quills like osage outlaw.
 Do keep your right and left wings sererate and the tail has a right and left side too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC