Author Topic: which limb should be shorter???  (Read 1945 times)

Offline hook

which limb should be shorter???
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:55:38 pm »
I forget! I had to shorten one limb by an inch and a quarter due to....well, stupidity! anyway I know that some bows are built like that by design and not by accident.
can anybody tell me which way is up?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: which limb should be shorter???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20:12 pm »
I usually make the bottom limb about an inch shorter, I find center measure one inch up then I measure 3 inches below center for a 4 inch grip, I shoot off my hand so the arrow rests just above the top mark. hope that helps

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:46:32 pm »
You could also make a symmetrical bow with the handle right in the center, and when tillering the limb that is just a little stronger make the bottom one. This is how I usually do it anyway. If it doesn't feel like it's pulling even enough I just sand a little more on the top weak limb and try it until it pulls smooth and even feeling to me.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:30:23 am »
I make the lower limb shorter.
Gordon

Offline grbd29

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:34:31 am »
Like above, I just measure in 10"-12" inches on the string on a strung bow with a square and the side with more(1/8-1/4") I use as the top.  Then I go up one inch from the center after that measurement for my arrow shelf on the top side.
Floresville, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:36:54 am »
Generally the lower is a tad shorter. But technically there's no reason why you cant make the top one shorter as long as it's tillered to suit (and the bottom one clears the ground).
Just look at the wild assymetry of those Japanese Yumi bows.
Don't get too hooked up on what's "right" . Sometimes it's good to make something deliberately 'wrong' just to see what if... and on occaision you will discover something usefull or an improvement.
Now excuse me while I have my sardines and chocolate on toast... ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:38 am »
I was taught to make the top one longer so the bow balanced in the hand.  I never could tell if that worked and make my bows symmetrical so I can chose the top limb later.  If I had the handle done and needed to pike one limb only I would shorten the lower limb, making it stiffer.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »
Couple of theories.  Really as long as it's tillered to match, then it should be fine.  It sounds like a lot folks make the bottome limb shorter, probably to clear brush, tree stands, limbs, etc.  The opposing (well, not OPPOSING, just different) theory is that the bottom limb should be a tad longer to reduce the stress from being strung repeatedly with the push/pull stringing method that is pretty common with selfbows. 

Really though, build it to suit your needs and it should be alright either way.