Author Topic: Bamboo backed ipé: reflex/deflex trilam (pics!)  (Read 9408 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Bamboo backed ipé: reflex/deflex trilam (pics!)
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:35:20 pm »
Hey guys.
Here's my latest creation I finished this week. It's a design with severals features I've playing with in my head for a longer time. It started about two months ago, with preparing the laminations. From there on, everything went relatively quick (at least for me) and without major problems. The bow is pretty much exactly what I had in mind before I started the project. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together  :D

It's a BBI (bamboo backed ipé) trilam. The core is a lamination of bubinga. The design is a reflex/deflex, with approximately equal amounts of reflex and deflex. The bow has about ½" of set (deflex) when relaxed. It has a tiny bit more after some shooting, maybe 1" or so. The reflex is 2" in the top limb, and 1½" in the lower limb. I originally glued in equal amounts of reflex in both limbs, but tillering changed that. Possibly because I strung it too early, stressing the lower limb more than the upper, causing a bit of set in that limb. The difference in reflex of both limbs was quite annoying when tillering. Since the upper limb is reflexed more, that needs to be reflected in the braced bow as well. It even needs to be (slightly) visible in the full drawn profile. I think I did pretty well on the tiller, but I'm not sure.
The bow is meant for target shooting. The drawweight is 47#@28". Right where I wanted it to be. A pleasant weight, which allows for shooting for hours on end. The design of this bow is FAST! Man, this bow hits hard for sure! I've never been more accurate with a newly made bow. This is currently my best shooter for sure. No handshock at all, really quiet, and the arrows fly exactly where I want them to go to. Although the bow is pretty assymetrical (top limb is 1" longer, top limb has ½" more reflex, arrow rest is 1½" above the exact center of the bow), it draws very nice. Even if the tiller may not be perfect, I'm not changing it. The way she shoots tells me not to mess around with her anymore.

The handle is an eye catcher for sure. I had the idea for such a handle for about two years or so, but I finally decided that THIS would be the bow for it. I'm not going to tell my secrets for making such a handle  It was time consuming, to say the least. But the result looks even better than I'd hoped in advance! It flows, it moves...I like it! The woods in the handle are wengé and hard maple. To complement that black and white pattern, I used some zebrawood tip overlays. The tips are about 9 millimeters wide. It has a very gradual taper to the tips, so I personally think there's very little excess mass in the tips.

Stats:
66" NTN
47#@28"
Thin (less than 1/8") bamboo backing
4 mm parallel bubinga core
Ipé belly of max. 7 mm thick
Limb width max. 32 mm (1¼")
Handle length 30,5 cm (12")
Hard maple power lam (18" long and ¼" thick)
Wengé and hard maple handle, zebrawood tips
645 grams physical weight

Front profile

Unstrung side profile. Note more reflex in top limb.

Braced. Top limb at the righthand side.

Arrow shelf. The bow is very close to centershot.

Full draw (well, I think at 27" actually).

"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Bamboo backed ipé: reflex/deflex trilam (pics!)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »
Superb!!
Genesis 27: 3

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:10 pm »
Man, I'm surprised that the arrows go where you want them to...  I'd have a hard time seeing anything past the handle/riser!!!

Stunning bow.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »
Excellent workmanship! tiller looks spot on to me, but I have never made a R/D bow before. The handle is definately the eye magnet. I like it!  good job DS.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:25:31 pm »
Very nice job.  At first glance I wasn't sure I liked the handle.  After I looked at it a bit more I really began to love the way it looked.  Very Cool.  8)  I like to see new ideas, and that is a new one to me.  Great job.  Also tiller looks great to me.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:37:36 pm »
That is amazing! :o really like the handle and the whole package! nice job, thats one to be proud of!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:22:49 am »
Beautiful work!

Offline Ken S

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 12:33:50 am »
way cool!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 02:44:40 am »
Dang nice.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:10:14 am »
That is a work of art, all the way.  That handle is crazy awesome that must have taken forever!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:14:31 am »
Oh yes...
I love the checkerboard handle, a work of art in it's own right.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:27:18 am »

Man that is great. I knew you would be up to something special, a work of art. Knowing your passion I'm sure its a great shooter. But the finish; thats what makes it such a stunner. Nice job Jorik!!!

Nathan

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:21:08 am »
that's a nice bow, but that rizer, cool beans, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:29 am »
Very nice craftsmanship on that bow. I like the checkered handle.... heck i like the entire bow! Your finish work is very detailed and looks professional. Great job

Jon

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:29 am »
Wow, those are some tight glue lines.  I've never seen a handle like that before, great work!  You have a gift!