Author Topic: Ash...  (Read 2760 times)

HatchA

Ash...
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »
Ok, as I mentioned in another thread, I split an Ash log on Saturday and I got four good staves from it and something to experiment with if I'm ever waiting for paint to dry (my attempt at an inside split didn't go too well).

I'll post some pic's of the staves hopefully tomorrow as there's one in particular that I may be able to split into two but request the wisdom of the board on that one!

It's 72" long, 6" wide and roughly 2.5" thick where the handle(s) would be.

My initial questions about Ash though are; how long does it usually need for drying out?  I haven't removed the bark but have sealed the ends - would I be better off removing the bark now and sealing the backs?  If the bark comes off cleanly, leaving a good clean back/ring; is there any call to chase deeper or can the first ring be used as the bow's back?  (Basically is there much of any cambium or sapwood on Ash?).  Reason I'm probably asking such silly questions is that there hasn't been much talk of Ash (that I've seen/noticed) on the board - until yesterday...   ;D   Is it more akin to Osage or Birch?  I'm guessing Birch and therefore might take kinder to working the stave sooner after splitting?

After seeing Steil's Ash flatbow, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what I can make with it. 

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Ash...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:43:27 pm »
A good rule of thumb is that your stave will take one year to dry for every inch of thickness in its narrowest dimension.  So if you leave your 6-inch monster 4 inches deep, expect it to take 4 years to dry.  In my experience, the denser the wood the longer it takes, so for ash, oak, hickory and others that are more dense than average I'd suggest 1.5 to 2 years per inch of thickness.

If you want to use this wood soon, you should probably remove the bark, narrow the stave to about the width of the bow you want to make, and tiller this narrowed stave until it bends enough that you could brace it if you cut in nocks.  Depending on how long your bow will be, this might leave you with 1/2 to 3/4 inches of thickness in the limbs, which will still take months to dry but it will go much faster than a full-size stave.  You can speed the drying process up with heat or moving air (fan), but in my opinion this yields a lower quality stave than if you let it dry naturally for a longer period.  I think that, particularly for more dense woods, the wood deep inside the limbs doesn't dry adequately when the outer wood is speed-dried, tending the bow towards reduced performance and excessive set.  But that's just my opinion, perhaps others will disagree.

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »
Finally got the pic's on the PC.

This stave is 6" along the black line - I'm thinking I can split it again??

This one is 3" along the black line.  There's the beginnings of checking on the inside edge of the stave - dead centre.  With the outside edge being 3" across, could I chance splitting this again?

This one is 61" long due to whoever had the saw was a little incompetent.  Should still make a sweet little bow...

Any and all advice on the questions above is greatly appreciated!

Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:32:05 pm by HatchA »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:11:52 pm »
 Ash seems to like wide and thin , so keep that in mind !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:39:06 pm »

Like Birch?  I was thinking that, that's why I originally split them as wide as I did.  After seeing Matthias' Ash bow though, I'm hopefully optimistic...  ;D

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:19:25 am »
You can definitely split the 6 inch wide stave again.  The others I'd leave alone.  What style of bow do you want to make?

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:55 am »
Thanks Eric.  I'm really not decided on bow type at the moment - kinda thinking the wood will reveal the bow when I begin work, if that doesn't sound too clíche?

Offline DEllis

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 03:33:36 pm »

Like Birch?  I was thinking that, that's why I originally split them as wide as I did.  After seeing Matthias' Ash bow though, I'm hopefully optimistic...  ;D
I have very little experience with ash(1 bow) but birch, I find, is happier long and not too wide and heat treated on the belly. Sorry for the off topic.
I'd split the wide one for sure and maybe the 3 inch wide if I wanted two longbows rather than one flatbow. I'd probably wait for it to dry first and then bandsaw it down the middle if that was the case.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »
looks like some nice staves. nice thick rings on the last two, should make some beauties especially around the handle as the grain tapers out. ash looks the best for that imo.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline toymaker

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:17:16 pm »
Super  straight staves!!! Wow!