Author Topic: Indirect Percussion Method  (Read 5022 times)

Offline warhawk

Indirect Percussion Method
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:52:15 am »
I have been watching videos on Youtube and  this is new to me. Does anybody know how this is done and what tools are needed or have any knowledge to share?
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Indirect Percussion Method
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:53:44 am »
Which videos did you watch?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:48:22 am »
after watching Patrick's videos, then seeing it first hand....you grab anything that resembles a rock, smack a pressure flaking what your holding under your leg, and 15minutes later a oober thin, ooober tiny bird point comes out :o

Seriously, watch Jackcrafty's videos on youtube, he has several threads on here refering to them, Id put his youtube handle up, but I can't spell hobbit/hobit....Allergichobbit or something to that effect, on youtube. I've gotten mixed results with it using copper and on various materials, but using a whitetail billet and rhyolite, it helps me when making rhyolite bifaces.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »
I have watched Allergichobbit and PaleoindianJim has also produced a video using a hammerstone with has aleather pad glued on to it. The skilss are still the same but i was wondering if the flake size is better with the control provide by the indirect precussion or the hammerstone/leather combo in get better results. The thing with me is that i really like doing all phases of knapping and dont believe that grinding, preforming or using machines. Knapping provides a real idea of what the paleoindian went thru in crafting just one peice of stone. There are some on this website that i read their posts and it all about them and not about the craft because we are not all at the same level and some of us need instruction. This is just my opinion and that is that.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:56:56 pm »
I was wondering if the flake size is better with the control provide by the indirect precussion or the hammerstone/leather combo in get better results.

The stone "sandwich" method works well with larger points.  The sandwich stone just gets in the way with the smaller points.  Flake size is determined by the amount of force you use and at what angle.  The material will also affect flake size to some extent.  If you want the best control of flakes, use indirect percussion or pressure.  Direct percussion is unpredictable for all but the most talented knappers.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline warhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »
thanks and ill try that

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:25:02 am »
of all the methods available i think indirect percussion has the most potential to turn a beginning knapper into a moderate knapper in less than one day. once the angles are learned and you get comfortable with the tools it is the fastest way to get good results. i finally taped my method of indirect and will post it as soon as my daughter edits out all the cussing. =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline warhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »
i would like to see that video too.