Author Topic: first dovetail?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
first dovetail?
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:22 pm »
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: first dovetail?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »
I am in love with that dove ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline toms22

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:17:33 am »
Great looking Dovetail and great work. What kind of flint is the dovetail made out of.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:12:10 am »
Really nice work Jamie!

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:49:05 am »
Man, that looks sharp!

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:19 am »
thanks guys, this one is root-beer from Texas. still need to work on my notching.  haven't figured out a way to do narrow notches with abo tools. just boxed this one up and its on its way next day air to the classic.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 10:22:46 am »
we all remember our first......and that's a fine point
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:36 am »
Very nice. Great looking point.Love the rootbeer.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:56:02 pm »
You are doing that rootbeer some justice Jamie! And very thoughtful of you to send it for the case.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »
after working with obsidian today i realized how much i love chert, especially this rootbeer  ;D

waterbury, ct

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 07:26:16 pm »
Thin notching is done with percussion and with a punch made out of the side of the antler base.  Get one of the worn out whitetall boppers and split it lengthwiseStart grinding from the pourous center to the hard edge.  It will look like a wedge when you are done, form  the outside edge to a screwdriver blade shape.  It works best for me if it is about 2 1/2 to three inches long, longer is hard to hold steady and shorter, I start to hit my fingers.  Use a wood backing under your pad, if it flexes too much, it will break off the ears or just break.  Legbone from a cow, elk. horse, or buffalo will also work.  You will have to rework the tip pretty regularly.  Bill

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »
Thanks for the advise Bill. I've been trying antler punches. It suprised me how much more forgiving it seems to be. In regards to less broken tangs. At least it works that way for me.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jamie

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 12:13:06 pm »
i definetly get better results with the punch just like you explained. have two of em i used for a while. still cant get em that narrow though. i do need to start using a soft wood under the point though. may be part of the problem. also was told to heat the punch up a bit to make it as dry as possible without making it more brittle.

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »
Good stuff brother!!!...sorry haven't been around been practicing other primitive arts...clubbing chicks over their heads and dragging them back to my cave!!!  Lol cya man!

Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »
Jamie,that was a beautiful addition to the case
it had lots of very nice points in it
even one of my uglies  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd