Author Topic: Pics for Manny (guava)  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Pics for Manny (guava)
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:19:18 am »
  These pics are of the guava stave Manny sent me. There were a few worn holes in the stave. Manny wanted to see pics and for some reason the pics in my e-mails to him wouldn't work ??? so I'm posting them here. These pics are for Manny's clarification. ;D    Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Pics for Manny (guava)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 03:18:57 pm »
those on the belly aren't something to worry about, most likely by the time you get to bow dimentions they won't be there,
 are you sure those on the beck are wormholes? Guava often has those looking natural holes in the back
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:37:26 pm »
They are the same as on the belly. I have filled all with super glue and on the bigger one on the belly, saw dust and super glue. I have been working on it today. Trying to reduce the mass. :o I will see where it takes me. I am enjoying working with this wood. It has a nice fruity small to it and even though it is tough wood it seems less brittle than any other I've used. It sure wants to clog my Nicholson #50 rasp. The farriers rasp works well on it. 
   I'm not gonna worry about the holes. ;) It will add to the challenge ;D.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:26:04 pm »
I don't think you'll have a problem with them, and in case to bow goes, I'll send you an other stave.

You'll really like it once you get to the scraping, and yes the ferrier rasp works the best
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:42:15 am »
Manny, I am going fairly narrow(1 1/4"wide) and a deep round belly. ::) Sound good so far?   Pat

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:45:20 am »
You can get a 65-70# bow at that width, so you'll be in great shape for what you'll be looking for ;D

Still puzzeled by those worm holes, the only time I got some was on 2 staves that I had to leave in the forest a week of so after cutting them down, this one was harvested and roughed out very quickly, plus the bark just pealed of,..... can't quite understand ::) ::)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII