Author Topic: Damn dog... >:(  (Read 5036 times)

HatchA

Damn dog... >:(
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »
Ok...  so I've been toying with the idea of tanning my own hides for the past year and a half or so.  For various different reasons I've had a cross-breed Sika/Red deer hide curing in my shed for the past year or more - all salted up and dried out after scraping the flesh side.  The other day I finally got my ass in gear and rehydrated it in salt water and disinfectant.  After it had a GOOD soak, I took it out, drained it and rinsed it through a few times.  By early last night I draped it over a fence to dry out enough; planning to egg-tan the sucker today.

I got up this morning to find that my male Golden Retriever (about 2 and a half) had managed to drag the hide from the fence, haul it halfway up the garden where he then went to work "de-hairing" it and chewing a rather large hole slap bang in the middle of the hide!!!

It was draped either side of a 7ft high fence!!  I swear to the Gods he looks small enough when he's on all fours...  Standing up is a different story altogether...

I'm more than a little disappointed at losing the hide (which I'd been putting off doing for so long) but at the same time - I can just imagine my dog lying on the grass, paws clutching the great big soggy lump of hairy skin, eyes closing in sheer pleasure as he clears away a patch of skin that he can chew on....

He's a dumb dog but oh so loveable!!  I won't be leaving any future skins up there, that's for sure!!

Currently got my 2 rabbit hides rehydrating.  I'll probably rinse them out tonight.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Damn dog... >:(
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:13:50 pm »
Don't hang them on the fence!  ::)
  The poor dog thought you were leaving that beautiful skin for him. I'm sure he was appreciative!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »
  The poor dog thought you were leaving that beautiful skin for him. I'm sure he was appreciative!  ;)

Well he's certainly waddling around like an overstuffed Christmas turkey (or Thanksgiving ;) )  so he obviously enjoyed my "offering"...

All the same though...  you'd think that 7 feet high would be enough of a deterrant!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:51 pm »
not for a lab or golden!  It is just considered working for his treat!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:48:17 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ;D ;D ;D 
That sucks, but man you just made me laugh!
1’—>1’

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:52:11 pm »
Glad you didn't replace the deer hide with dog hide. :)
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »
Glad you didn't replace the deer hide with dog hide. :)

Ah no...  he's still only a puppy, really.  It's one of those "laugh or cry" situations and since I've only got myself to blame - I'll laugh at my own (seemingly incresing) stupidity :D

Parnell...  Glad I brightened up your day ;)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:06:07 am »

Man, Hatch, that is sort of like seeing your mother n law drive off a cliff in your brand new Lexus! :o  Kind of mixed emotions so to speak...... ::) ;D

Wayne

Offline thomas h

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:07:51 am »
 ;D got-a-love those goldens.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »
You know, dog hide is the preferred hide for making a bodhran....Think of it as getting to beat your dog long after he's gone!    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »
You know, dog hide is the preferred hide for making a bodhran....Think of it as getting to beat your dog long after he's gone!    >:D

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  Gotta keep that in mind...  ;)

Though in modern "civilised" Ireland - it's goatskin that's used for bodhráns.

In other news...  It seems I'm only good for making rawhide for my dogs.

He got the rabbit skins too.  Probably just as well as now I can give up the folly of curing hides and get on with tuning my limited focus on finishing some bows...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 02:19:37 am »

Oh boy! First rawhide chew toys, and now stick chew toys! ;D ;D

Wayne

HatchA

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:20 am »

Oh boy! First rawhide chew toys, and now stick chew toys! ;D ;D

Wayne

LMAO!!!

Man, you really know how to instill confidence...   :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:14:40 pm »

Sorry about that.  But I just know Golden retrievers.  Chewing is their thing for entertainment.  Friends of mine had had one.  What great dog she was.  But.....she did like to chew stuff.  Fortunately for her, she knew where my Buddy dumped the carcasses of his deer, and Elk at.  She would just go and select a nice bone, or two, bring them home, and lay down in the front yard, and be in Ecstasy!  And those bone piles were her private stash!  she would be lying on the deck, and if she would see crows or eagles at her bone pile, :o she would get up, and run over to the bone pile, and run them off!  She would sometimes just stay there for awhile, making sure they did not come back!  Some other Friends had Goldens also, and the story was the same, and they all had the one endearing quality.  Affection!  You could pet her for an hour, and then put your hand in your pocket, or if you were in a chair, put it on the arm, and she would root it out, and let you know that you were not finished yet.  If she saw you petting the cat, she would get up, and come over, and push the cat out of the way and put her head under your hand, as if to say, "if you have time to pet the cat, you have time to pet me!"  And don't even think, you could pet her and the cat at the same time!  Noooo, if you have two hands free, then use them on her!  Enjoy, your dog, and just learn where you can put things, and where you can't.  Oh, and it simply becomes a goal to reach something just out of reach. ;)