Author Topic: sinew string..  (Read 3390 times)

Offline aero86

sinew string..
« on: April 14, 2011, 12:56:25 am »
how many have made a string out of sinew?  tonight i decided since i have a bunch of sinew already combed, i wanted to try.  i intended to just make a short string, but i ended up with a string that has a, what i think, usable portion greater than 36".  reason why i stopped was because i dont have a bow to put this on, unless i use it for my short horn bow.  but, my question is, when adding pieces into the string while twisting, do you add the bigger end of the piece of sinew, or the thinner end?  or does it just depend on the way you start the string?  am i making sense? lol.  also, when you are done, do you wet it down and then let it dry to try to make it all "come together"?  can you wax it?  i really think it turned out decent, but how can you properly test the strength of it? 

sorry for all the questions!!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Parnell

Re: sinew string..
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:04 am »
Wish I could answer but I'm hoping someone has some good explanations, I'm curious about this myself.
1’—>1’

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »
    I ve only made 2 a while back. Mixed the ends up like you did't know if it mattered no internet then. I really kept the wax to it and rewaxed every week. I'm not sure if there other ways of water proofing. Let them go with bows as spares.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »
wonder whats the best way to check strength?  just secure it and hang a weight from the middle of it?  actually once i got the feel for it, the string ended up pretty uniform.  i imagine that waxed, the loose ends wont be so bad.  i snipped off the longer ones.  maybe i should try to get a decent picture of it.  sure will wear out your fingers and hands!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:28:27 pm »
I have made several and it is a task!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:52:20 pm »
The best advice I can give for making strings out of sinew is to check out Jackcrafty's buildalong.  That is how I learned.

When splicing new fibres into the string I mix up the ends to get an even string diameter.  Also I like to constantly put in new fibres, instead of  just splicing bundles along the length of the string. When done I wet the string down, pat it dry , then hang it from the ceiling by the loop.  Then twist it until it wants to kink.  At that point I tie some weight to the other end and let it dry.   It will stretch as it dries.  I don't wax mine, I don't shoot them if it is really rainy.  To test it , I first brace the bow, and watch to make sure nothing bad is happening.  Then draw the bow progressively until I get to actual draw length multiple times.  Then I shoot it.  First only drawing about half draw, slowly working my way to full draw.  It will stretch and soften during this process.  So I advise a timber hitch for the bottom limb.  This allows you plenty of adjustment room.  Hope this helps, nothing is nicer than a real sinew string.
Just a note.  The only time I had a string fail, it came partially apart during bracing.  I've heard from others that generally that is when they fail, if they fail.   
Traverse City, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:39:08 am »
I'm going to do a shameless plug here and post a link to my sinew string how-to...  now on video!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZibFv1Si8
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:14:39 am »
just got done watching that!  good buildalong!  thatll be really helpful when i go to make a real one!  all the strings ive made with that method, i just twist it the one time, i dont twist the individual sections.. course thats with full length artificial sinew strands..

Offline Markus

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:53 pm »
Very informative video, well, sore fingers here we come.  Markus.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »
I'm going to do a shameless plug here and post a link to my sinew string how-to...  now on video!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZibFv1Si8
Sweet ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:12:14 am »
Thanks Jackcrafty. I made one sinue bowstring from your previous buildalong and am anxious to try another now after the video. You have gone beyond the call of duty with such helpful tutorials. Thanks again.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell