Author Topic: Mtn. Willow and Western Cedar (AZ)  (Read 2810 times)

Offline RabidApache

Mtn. Willow and Western Cedar (AZ)
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »
Hey fellas,
 Thought I'd pick your skulls on both arrow materials. What do yall think about Willow do they make decent arrows? I myself think they are on the light side but MAN they are sure easy to find and prep.
Also check this cedar out. I don't know what exactly this type cedar is but its a beaut. It grows at about 5-6000ft level in AZ. I had found a flood killed cedar tree the other day and commenced to cuttN. Made only one spilt 29"cedar arrow, not complete yet but check the color out!                                                                                                                                                                 

Easily prepared to tie in a bundle. I thought about salvaging the willow bark strips to weave some sorta project but thats for another time.

Now for the cedar. Wish ya could enjoy the cedar smell.

A lil close-up view.

Forever making arrows!

Offline Lemos

Re: Mtn. Willow and Western Cedar (AZ)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:10:59 pm »
I don't know nothing about making arrows. But thats some cool looking cedar.

Offline natureboyfloyd

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:02 am »
Hello, great site. I've lurked about a year or so, back into archery after a 20 yr hiatus; here is my humble observation.

I harvested some shoots of willow from the Pinalenos of AZ, and let them sit a year.  Made target points of nails, and went to bareshaft tune with 570 grain arrows.

Result....each arrow broke, three of them.  Took about 5-10 shots, but the shafts split down the middle.  One went through the target and struck the ground, rock and all.

Conclusion....I need to harvest at a different time of year.  I  keep at it, learning. Constructed three ramin(?) Home Depot arrows to keep learning alive, and they work great, with actual points and self nocks.  I kinda wonder if the long nail points helped the willow break.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:39:02 pm »
Hello, great site. I've lurked about a year or so, back into archery after a 20 yr hiatus; here is my humble observation.

I harvested some shoots of willow from the Pinalenos of AZ, and let them sit a year.  Made target points of nails, and went to bareshaft tune with 570 grain arrows.

Result....each arrow broke, three of them.  Took about 5-10 shots, but the shafts split down the middle.  One went through the target and struck the ground, rock and all.

Conclusion....I need to harvest at a different time of year.  I  keep at it, learning. Constructed three ramin(?) Home Depot arrows to keep learning alive, and they work great, with actual points and self nocks.  I kinda wonder if the long nail points helped the willow break.

Wow a year huh......I think willow has a shelf life to them. I constructed a few arrows earlier in the year and they've been holding their own.Seasoned about 2 weeks. I also fire tempered'em too, just the first half. basically stuck the foreshaft into a bed of coals for a few minutes. Let sit, rub them with a stone and then fire'em again.
You may want to reinforce the tip with wrapped sinew or thread.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:11:36 am »
That cedar looks super.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington