Author Topic: swap a hunt  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

swap a hunt
« on: April 22, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »
I dont want to make anything official as of yet because it is so early. I just want to put some feelers out to see if anyone has any interest.  My friend Dax, his son, Aidan and I , are looking to selfbow hunt hogs and hopefully oceola turkeys next spring.... a little less than a year from now.  we are family oriented kinda folks, and we have been hunting with each other once or twice a year now for a few years. We are trying to steer away from the pay to hunt places, especially since we are selfbow hunters and really dont want to show up in one day, shoot a hog outa a pen and leave the next.  we would like very good opportunities to kill hogs and\or turkeys, but you know what im saying...  lodging in the hunting area would be a big plus, of course we would provide food and cooking and such.     so we are looking at the 2012 season, mostly for 1-2 hogs (over bait if legal is fine)  possibly turkey opportunities if we happen to be hunting in FL, but turkeys arent really as important as we can hunt them on our own places.   I think we are hoping to find someone in central FL but we would consider Anywhere in FL, GA or AL.
                         In trade, You can come hunt Montana with me, the next fall (application deadlines past for this fall already) most tags are on a lottery and a bit price, but the hunting is good.  can provide opportunities to hunt on some private land, state land and large BLM lands, as well as block managements...... lots of places to hunt...but might have to put on some miles depending on what you are after.  I can get us in territories for Mule deer, Whitetails, Pronghorns, upland birds, Merriams Turkeys, and also Black bear and elk on the large blm lands, but those arnt going to have as much action as the deer and antelope, but the opportunities are there...just requires a lot of sneaker tread and a real appetite to hunt hard and camp in cold mountain weather.
                     of course there is a lot to be hashed out, and we have lots of time to plan, but this is why we are starting to look early. if you may be interested, let me know and we can email a bit and talk on the phone, whatever. Hopefully something will work its self out by this up coming fall so we can plan our spring hunt.    Also, in trade, if you can't make the Montana hunt, We could work something out on a selfbow and other finished primitive gear if needed.  Like said, we are family oriented, but when it comes to hunting, we are still Men, expect a little cussin', 1 or 2 beers to be drank in the evening, (we arnt big drinkers tho either) and we reeeaaallly dont like politics or religion discussed....cuz we all know how those debates go..lol   we just want to have a good time, in good company and not have to feel like we are walking on egg shells the whole trip.  let me know through pm if you like.- Ryan

Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline gstoneberg

Re: swap a hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:50:03 am »
Ryan,

Good luck in your quest.  I don't have enough vacation time to do much hunting out of the state of Texas, but I would certainly take you out if got yourself to Dallas.  I can't speak for how hog hunting is in other places, but where my deer lease is the free range hog hunting is a hit and miss deal.  So far this spring it has been great, I've been out once a month since Feb and the groups I've taken out have killed 7 hogs (in 3 trips).  All of those were with rifles.  It is much harder with selfbows.  Hogs noses are better than whitetails and they're smarter animals to boot.   In those 3 outings, 2 of us used bows and only 1 shot was taken and I missed that one.  Cipriano will be going out with me in a week and we'll see if the hogs are still cooperating.  However, if a food source opens up 5 miles away we won't see a thing until they get it eaten up.  You just never know.   Our turkey population has been down lately, probably because our coyote and bobcat population is up.  I never hunt for turkeys on purpose, but I have killed 3 turkeys incidentally while hog hunting.  They are rio grandes where I'm hunting.  In Texas, you can get an inexpensive 5day exotics license to hunt hogs, but turkeys are considered big game and require the more expensive non-resident big game license.  There are other places in Texas with much higher hog (and turkey) concentrations than where my lease is.  Hopefully somebody will chime in with a better deal.  I would want a more sure thing if I were traveling as far as you will be.  There's no doubt that I will eventually make a friend and get on some better hog hunting down here.  All land owners want them removed but it takes time to develop relationships to get access as i'm sure you know.

George
St Paul, TX