Author Topic: Tri-lam Warbow tiller help  (Read 9720 times)

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
Tri-lam Warbow tiller help
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:28:04 pm »
Hi everyone,
I've been sit on this stave for awhile and started scraping away a little today. Please give me some tips on where to go from here.
Upper limb is on the right.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Tri-lam Warbow tiller help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:29:03 am »
looks nice, i think on both sides it needs a little more bending near the tips, what are the dimensions, weight and materials, it looks good so far though, cant wait to see the progress ;D
good luck
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:49:31 am »
Thanks Fish.  I was so excited to post earlier I forgot to give you all the specs on the stave.  It is 76" long and 1 3/16" wide at the handle.  Hickory belly/Ipe/Bamboo backing.  Ideally, I would like to hit #130 at 32" but I'd be happy for anything over #90.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:09:18 am »
looks like a nice combo, it also looks like we have similar interests when it comes to bows ;D, im actually planing a hickory backed ipe longbow around 80 long and 130-150lbs at 32. that will start after the ash one im building, are you going to do self nocks or horn
noel

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:23:18 am »
Nice! Yes I like this lamination combo quite a lot. It makes for a very fast bow. I'll probably do self nocks on this one. That Hickory/Ipe sounds awesome! Should loose arrows like lasers!  :D

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:07 am »
one can only hope, if you can though, i would at least try to put overlays on, iv'e had an osage bow around 100 start to split itself because the tips wasn't reinforced, and partially the design(oops ::)), i just would hate to see such a beautiful bow ruined
good luck
noel

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:03:39 am »
Dag,
Interesting tri-lam combo. Personally, I think hickory is the worst belly wood there is. If it was me, I'd have used the ipe as my belly wood, and bamboo or hicory as core/backing woods. That being said, i hope it works out for you anyway.
Also, you need a tiller tree, and you also need to get rid of that overly long tiller string. My longest 'long string' is usually no more than the same length as the bow. It does, however, look like your tips are very stiff, and if you're not careful, a hinge is being born in your right limb.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:20:01 am »
Thats funny I have just done the exact same thing with a hickory Ipe Hickory bow made to 130lb at 32", as abd said hickory isnt the best so try your best to get a perfect tiller, I use it as a weight trainer.

It can be difficult to gauge tiller on a long string but it is bending more just after the handle and not enough mid limb or at the tips, if I wsa you make the mid limb bend more then when you work the bow to 24" draw with a braced profile see what the tips are doing then.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:53 am »
Thats funny I have just done the exact same thing with a hickory Ipe Hickory bow made to 130lb at 32", as abd said hickory isnt the best so try your best to get a perfect tiller, I use it as a weight trainer.

It can be difficult to gauge tiller on a long string but it is bending more just after the handle and not enough mid limb or at the tips, if I wsa you make the mid limb bend more then when you work the bow to 24" draw with a braced profile see what the tips are doing then.
Could you post a picture of this bow? Even better, a picture of you shooting this bow?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:58:06 am »

This is the bow, the tiller is not as good as it could have been as it started to de-laminate when I was tillering it, so I lost quiet a bit of weight I ended up sacrificing the tiller to keep the weight up.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »
the tiller is the most important part, what layers delaminated? you might just want to try re laminating themand then tillerng it from there, i would hate to see this bow delaminate on you while you are shooting it, with a bow this weight that could be very painful
good luck
noel

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:47:36 pm »
"the tiller is not as good as it could have been"

??? It must be the photo then, cause that bow looks spot on tiller wise to me. I do understand photos can be very inaccurate and hide/or create tiller problems. But I couldn't see a hinge/problem with that tiller in the pic with a freaking microscope, :). I think you did a nice job.

EDIT: Wait, now I see it, bottom limb looks too weak (or bending too much, could be the way your drawing it.). I would recommend flipping the bow and making the top limb the bottom for the time being if that is infact the case. Could just the way your drawing it though. Very nice bow either way!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:55:40 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 04:52:37 am »
Thanks for the input on my stave guys   :)  My only tools right now are a pocketknife and a crummy rasp so I apologize if I don't post progress pics very often. Adb, I now have a shorter string and I'm gonna look into getting a tillering tree soon.  Also, I have another warbow #110@30 that is the same lam combo as this one and it has performed fantastic for over a year, so I remain very hopeful for this one.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 01:33:51 pm »
wow! for only those tools this is very good, the tiller dos look better in the second picture and if you've had success with the combo before, than theres no reason to doubt it
good luck
noel

Offline markinengland

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »
Advice to get a proper length string on is good. A long string can tend to make outer limbs and tips look stiff. When the low brace height string is put on you them find you have weak outer limbs!
Get a string on that gives about 5 inches brace height and then just check the bend, exercise it a very little and work for an even bend at brace and work from there.
Good luck,
Mark in England