Author Topic: Elk Horn bows  (Read 5978 times)

Mountaineer

Elk Horn bows
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:06:41 pm »
Would like to talk with someone who's done an Elk horn bow before.I've been reading a bit on it,but never tried it before.Just don't want to mess up on the only piece of elk horn I have.They are kinda hard to come by in WV.Any help is appreciated.Thanks

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Elk Horn bows
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:04 pm »
I've never tried it, but sence you only have enough elk horn for one attempt, I would suggest making a few little test bows out of whitetail horns. That way you can get plenty of experimenting in ,and up your odds on success.

Ralph

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52:29 pm »
I'm curious to see what you come up with.  I have read that they were mostly ornamental and ceremonial, just hearsay though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:38:46 pm »
I've never tried it, but sence you only have enough elk horn for one attempt, I would suggest making a few little test bows out of whitetail horns. That way you can get plenty of experimenting in ,and up your odds on success.

Ralph
  Thanks Ralph.Seems like a real good idea.Why didn't I think of it???Thanks again

Trapper

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:59:57 pm »
The Shoshone and a few other tribes in the mountains used elk antler, and the bows were pretty short, but they also had a wood core and the belly was elk antler and they were heavely sinew backed, Ive worked with it enough to know that I really dont want to mess with it again. I think if I had to work with antler it probably be Caribou, I think you can get alot straiter peices off of the caribou. I think some of the older bows that were called elk was probably caribou. Trapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 12:34:33 pm »
I remember reading in Reginald Laubin's American Indian Archery book about his tribulations building  an elk horn bow, and he pretty much concluded that it wasn't really worth the trouble-apparantly elk antler is pretty brittle. He made a couple sheephorn bows that turned out good, and he was thinking the same as Trapper, some of the "elk horn" bows were probably actually caribou antler.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline episaacs

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 12:44:59 pm »
Look up Bob Thompson if you're near Ravenswood.  He's made some really nice ones.