Author Topic: spliced osage billits  (Read 3155 times)

Offline luke the drifter

spliced osage billits
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:25:08 pm »
i have two very exceptional billits of Osage orange about 48 inches long at 1.5 inches+ wide.  i plan to splice them using the double fish tail splice about five inches long.  has this ever been attempted to get a bow of warbow strength.  any advice or opinions welcome.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: spliced osage billits
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »
If a splice is done correctly they are exceptionally strong, but I have never built a warbow before. I would add a solid wood lam over the splice and use Urac for the glue up and see how it goes. A backing wouldn't hurt anything either.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »
i have two very exceptional billits of Osage orange about 48 inches long at 1.5 inches+ wide.  i plan to splice them using the double fish tail splice about five inches long.  has this ever been attempted to get a bow of warbow strength.  any advice or opinions welcome.

In theory a splice can be stronger than the original wood, but I would be worried about the back giving way at the splice if the bow were made to bend through the handle, so instead I would make a stiff handled bow and would probably wrap the joint with some form of cord.

The "100lb" spliced bow I made did not last through the tillering process, it broke apart at the joint just as I reached 105lb at 32" . May have been my bad workmanship, may not.

Best of luck with your build.

Craig

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:47 am »
This is a 100#@32" tri-lam with a spliced osage belly.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:43:08 am »
A couple of weeks ago I saw a 170# warbow being shot, it was of spliced billets of Oregon Yew.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.