Author Topic: HHB - Trade Bow (was in Progress...now not so much)  (Read 10851 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: HHB - Trade Bow (was in Progress...now not so much)
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 04:43:55 pm »
Thanks for the sympathy folks...I'm sure some of you have been in my shoes and it doesn't feel good.  I was just PRAYING I wasn't going to be that "guy who broke his first several bows" but it is what it is...

I was pretty happy with where I had come with it for my 1st effort at this addiction but I get to try again and I'm sure this one will be even better.  I can also play around with some leather dyes and finishes on the cherry bark to see what looks good so the piece will not be a total loss.

On to the next one...I only have until July 4th to get one completed  :o

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 04:57:19 pm »
It happens, get another one bending and this will soon be all but a faded memory.

Stiks
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:02 am »
Lee that's aweful... "the horror!! The horror!!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »
 :-[ Been there recently with an Osage bow. Had a small borer hole i didn't see.

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

HatchA

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »
R.I.P  R+CBHHB

you never got to shoot an arrow...

we mourn your passing.....by a nice warm fire...   *cough cough*

Luck with the next one, Lee.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »
Sorry to see your loss, but it's part of the process.  I try to not look at a broken bow as just a broken bow, but look at the things I learned along the way.  It eases the pain a bit. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »
I used the largest piece of my last broken bow to hold up my sagging Jeep rear hatch so there was value even in it's demise.  But, one of the boys building knives with me spotted it last night and now it's at his house.  Funny what 12 year-olds think is important.  Anyway, we make em and brake em.  Hopefully more of the former and less of the latter.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »
Oh man, heartbreaking. Those overlays were looking incredible too. I feel your pain. Join me in cracking open a beer in honor of your fallen bow... (I probably would have toasted your success the same way... or the fact that its Friday... or any other reason, but the bow was looking real nice in any case) .

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
Thanks again guys...all part of the journey I suppose.  It will be put to good use as a test piece for dyes and finishes, etc.  Although my two young boys were both begging to have it even it it didn't work...they wanted an "indian" weapon to run around our woods with  ;D

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 02:28:34 pm »
Sorry your bow failed, Lee but it happens to all of us. Part of the learning process.  ;)
  This is a good reason to not do any finish work to a bow before it is shot in. Even as much as narrowing tips and shaping the handle area is not necessary to tiller a bow and lots of love and work go into that portion just to be lost in a failed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »
Good advice Pat, I'll heed those words as I go forward on it's replacement.

(already have a pile of scraper shavings on the floor...one pile is a nice golden yellow color and the other pile mixed in with it is a nice light "softwood" color)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »
That's a shame, Lee, a real shame.  Any chance you can save the cherry bark?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 04:28:35 pm »
If you used TB glue you can heat it and it will release. I've done it with hickory backing and if you are careful I think you could do the same with cherry bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 05:21:16 pm »
Not sure if it would be worth the effort & hassle to attempt a save on the Cherry bark.  I could really only use it on a bow with the exact or smaller dimensions...maybe a kids bow but I don't think a bark backed bow is all that great of an idea on a kids bow at they tend to be fairly heavy handed with most things.

I have a friend here on PA that is kindly sending me some different bark and I still can access the 3 trees I've taken pieces from this spring.

Thanks again~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 05:28:34 pm »
That's the way it goes. It was looking good. Can you chisel off the bark?  But I've been there. If I ain't breakin' I ain't makin'! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!