Author Topic: New hickory take down  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Arrowind

Re: New hickory take down
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 01:32:25 pm »
I really like it.  The design, the color, the handle, the tiller.  Very good work!  I'm just amazed that it has no set.  Did you have any reflex at all? Excellent job man.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:35 pm »
Nope, no reflex. I've been using the "No Set Tillering" on my bows these days and then tempering it after that (like I said, it seems to be sorta "over building" them at that point). So far little to no real set, especially on straight bows. Using the scale to tiller is a whole lot quicker and easier than the way I was doing it ::)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
Well at the risk of sounding dim...  What is "No Set Tillering?"  I'm fairly new to bow building and have not been able to get below about 1.5" to 1.75" or even 2.5" of set....  I guess I need to adjust my tillering approach. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:43 pm »
It's a method of tillering Badger explains over in the archives. Basically what you do is tiller the bow to brace height and then 16". Check the draw weight at 16". Now let down and draw to 17". Draw to 16" again, and check the weight. If the weight is lighter now, then check for thick/stiff spots/limbs and scrape them down, or evenly remove from the entire belly if the bow is just too heavy for the design. Let down and now draw to 18" and let down. Check it at 16". Repeat the scraping process if necessary. Normally, you won't see any real scraping until about 20-22" if you got the design down.

This way you attack the problem before they become a real source of set,

Offline xin

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:37:06 am »
Beautiful bow.  Really nice craftsmanship.  Bet it is a screamer.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:20 pm »
Thanks Xin :)

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »
Dang nice bow,good job all the way around.