Author Topic: seed saving and seed exchange  (Read 2832 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
seed saving and seed exchange
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »
Hi All,   I'm busy getting my garden in have extras of some seed.  I thought I'd offer some of the beans I've been seed-saving for the last few years.   If anybody else wants to do the same just chime in!    The seeds I've got are Hickman's Pole Bean, and Rev. Taylor's colored Lima.   The pole bean produces the tastiest green beans I've ever tasted, and the dried beans make great soup.   The limas are very colorful, small limas, that also make  great soup additions  (Brunswick stew, yum!)
I'll ask for reimbursement on postage.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Stoker

Re: seed saving and seed exchange
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53:03 pm »
Saving and trading seeds is a good idea.Maybe in the fall we could have a SITH  ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:05 pm »
i'll have to see if i can get my hand on some of the corn, squash, and tobacco seeds that i grew for a few years. the origanl seeds came from an archeological here in ct and were dated 400 yrs old. a friend of mine was offered some to grow and they did very well. surpriseingly the corn is quite large. blue and yellow color. the squash is a summer style and pretty tasty. the area he has them planted regenerates itself every year amasingly. he does plant a proper mound garden every year just incase though. i'll contact him and arrange to get some if anyone is interested. the corn is edible cooked but is much better for corn meal and grits. the tobacco is nicotiana rustica. a tobacco native to the americas. stuff packs a punch and will knock you for a loop if you arent used to it. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:50:22 am »
Jamie, would that corn and tobacco do decent in minnesota climate?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:50 pm »
i think if it survived 400 yrs in connecticut it should be ok there  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 02:49:07 am »
400 year old varieties of flour corn asnd summer squash.  That sounds cool.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers