Author Topic: The Holmegaard Bow (getting out of hand)  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Markus

The Holmegaard Bow (getting out of hand)
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:59 pm »
Well, this is my opinon so take it for whatever it is worth. I think that what many today call the Holmagaard Bow is false. The origional did not have the severe or abrupt thinning of the outer limbs seen from the back/belly, nor the thickening of the same portion seen from the side. Together with the complete Holmegaard bow some bits from other bows were found, the largest piece contains the handle section and part of one limb. A narrowing can be seen here, but nowhere as severe as being made today and we do not know how the whole bow looked like. Take a look at the photos and see for yourself, three of the pics were taken by me two feet away from the origional in the museum. Don`t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong making the bows as many do today. but I think it is wrong to call it a Holmegaard replica. New people are joining us all the time and I feel it is wrong not telling them how it really was.Perhaps I am stirring up a hornet`s nest.  Markus. Click on the link below the photos.

http://oldtiden.natmus.dk/udstillingen/jaegerstenalderen/jaegerstenalderens_buer_og_pile/verdens_aeldste_buer/language/uk/

Offline NTD

Re: The Holmegaard Bow (getting out of hand)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:19:34 pm »
You are beating a Dead Horse, Markus.  But what your post is missing is the name for the bow WITH the exageratted shoulders, because such a historic bow did exist.  The Mollegabet.  Most here understand the difference between them....
Nate Danforth

Offline Markus

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:18:11 pm »
Well, in this post I was looking at The Holmegaard Bow. I am familiar with the piece of wood they call the Mollegabet Bow, it may very well have been a bow.  Markus.
http://www.buewesth.dk/stenalderindex.html

Offline Markus

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:41:17 pm »
Here is the Mollegabet bow. Markus.

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:05:54 pm »
regardless of what we call it or where it came from, the lever-style bow works great and looks cool.  i have made a bunch of them.  Good bows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:26:28 pm »
I don't care if the molle bows are 1,000 years old or a brand new design, they shoot the crap out of an arrow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:41:43 pm »
I agree with Marcus about getting the names right on these ancient bows. How else do we properly learn about them.
 With only fragments of the original it is only speculation how the original bows looked. And were all the bows of that era built the same or was it like today that each bowyer had his own style that he built...sort of his signature. More speculation!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC