Author Topic: Brace Height Question?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline SiongSA

Brace Height Question?
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm currently working on a modoc style short bow, 49" ntn. I've been slowly tillering over the past couple of weeks and today a fully braced it for the first time. I've tillered it to 24" which is my target, currently i'm waiting for my fishing scale to arrive so don't know the draw weight yet although it feels about 70lb, i'm aiming for 45-50. Anyway i shot a few arrows out of it i made for the bow and a came into a problem, the fletch is 5.5" and the nock is 1" so with my brace of 5" the arrow doesn't clear it. So With a short bow is it fees able to brace it to 7"? Any advice welcome.

Sion,
South africa

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Brace Height Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »
if your arrows fly straight it doesn't matter.  I wouldn't brace it that high...stresses your bow more...induces more set.  higher strain.

I brace my shorties between 4-5.5"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »
I would definitely not make the brace height that high. I brace my shorties around 5 inches. This is just enough to keep the string from slapping my wrist and from what I understand that's around the height that many native bows were braced.Hope this helps..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »
If your target weight is 45-50#, I wouldn't be pulling it back at 70#.  I never take the bow past target weight while tillering.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:53:46 am »
Also I like to prefer a two fletch...doesn't matter what side you shoot from the feathers don't touch the bow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:36:16 am »
just high enough not to slap you're wrist, and I use either a two fletch or cut the feathers low, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:02:48 am »
  OSAGE is right never stress your limbs more than you need to. The more stress on your limbs  the more string follow you can get.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:29 am »
same for me:  i'd cut the feathers back a bit and keep the brace height down to about 5"

Offline tomtaker

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:24 am »
Brace just enough to keep from slapping your wrist, as for the Fletch, it doesn't matter if they touch the bow at rest, they wont at full draw. When you loose the arrow you wont even see the feathers touch the bow on the way out. 7" brace = way too much. :)

Jeff

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:41:47 am »
If your target weight is 45-50#, I wouldn't be pulling it back at 70#.  I never take the bow past target weight while tillering.
oh crap, i thought it only applied to the draw length, is there anyway of reversing the effects :-\